Winter re potting

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Winter re potting

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, often wondered if a Wintertime repoting schedule has any advantages. Most people seem to have more time to spare in the dark days of Winter so I wonder what the pros and cons may be for this suggestion. Cheers
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Winter re potting

Post by rodsmith »

The pros I suppose are that you won't be upsetting the plant's growth as it will be dormant and, as you say, we often have more time in the winter. Cons, winter can be cold (especially in an unheated greenhouse) and you would have to ensure that the compost is dry otherwise root rot is a possibility. I have potted in slightly damp compost in November with no ill effects. I'm sure others will think of more pros and cons.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

rodsmith wrote:Cons, winter can be cold (especially in an unheated greenhouse) and you would have to ensure that the compost is dry otherwise root rot is a possibility.
That's something you can control yourself. I always mix my own soil, and just add the ingredients I use from bins I have filled with loam, bins different kinds of sands, bins with different kind of rocks, compost and a bin with clay. If you use bags, just keep the bags open a bit and place it in the greenhouse or sheltered from rain in a windy place outside. That way you always have dry ingredients for a dry soil.
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

I make up my compost mix in a washing up bowl, bring it into the house and let it warm up/dry out. I am a nesh little creature, and while the plants might like the unheated potting shed/ greenhouse, I prefer to work in the kitchen! :lol:
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Heather,

Had to look up "nesh" (sensitive to cold) - not a word I have come across before!! Quite useful in gardening circles.
Thanks
Jane O
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I just repot whenever I have time to repot, whatever time of year that is, because between full time work, and full time study I don't have the time to pick and choose when to do it, and I don't think I suffer any more casualties than most people.

I wouldn't get too hung up on when, just do it whenever suits your fancy if the you have the luxury of picking and choosing when :)
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

Not very often, but I do, too. I bring plants from their winter place into the house, repot them and wait about 1 week, then return them back to garage into cold. The soil mustn't be wet. Usually it provides very abundant spring growth and flowering. It saves precious summer time for healthy growth. And I think that winter repotting is especially suitable for early flowering plants, e.g. Rebutia, Brasilicactus etc.
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

I repot loads of plants in winter, never any ill effects so far. I find it better for plants to have a good start in spring with fresh soil : )
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Amateur Gardening have just done a video on taking "cuttings" :!:

http://www.amateurgardening.com/home/cactus-cuttings/
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman