Feeding?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Feeding?

Post by JaneO »

We have lots of chat on the forum about pests and their control. (Provado rules) Do forumites feed their plants? If you do, do you use cactus/succulent food or Phostrogen/Tomato feed or what? Equally, indoors, do you use food for house plants? If so, which? - Baby Bio/Phostrogen/own label/none? Personally, I tend to re-pot rather than feed but I wondered what the norm was.
Thanks. Jane O
anders
Registered Guest

Re: Feeding?

Post by anders »

Oh yes, because my growing media are almost inert and do not contain much nutrients. I always add some liquid fertiliser to the water (usually a local brand that I don't think is available in the UK anyway).
majcka
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by majcka »

I use liquid fertiliser aswell. Not often but at least once a year. It is a cacti fertiliser bought in store.
Maja
BCSS No. 50507

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier.
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Because I use Peat and Grit I have to feed and have always used Chempak 8 for Cacti & Succulents and Chempak 4 for everything else.
If I need a nitrogen boost I have used Chempak 2.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I feed once a month between March and September. Until this year I used Miracle Gro, with good results. It contains all the trace elements that cacti (and most succulents) need, as well as being rather light on nitrates, so promoting strong rather than lush growth. This year I used a specific cactus & succulent fertiliser (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... fertiliser). However I didn't find this any better than Miracle Gro, which is available from most garden centres and is considerably cheaper; so next year I will go back to using it.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

Yes, I feed hit and miss, with tomato food, cactus food by Chempak, and occasionally with orchid food! However I have found I get much better flowering with good light and the peat free compost mix I'm now using than I ever got before. I also water with rain water whenever possible as our water reeks of chlorine and I never remember to put it to stand.
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

So do I also, using complete feeding for cacti & succ. with low amount of nitrogen.
If you'll try to feed one plant and not to feed another the same you'll be very pleased as the first one will much more happily grow and abundantly flower than the second.
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

A few mention low nitrogen. Have you tried with a nitrogenous feed? You might be surprised at the results.........

And not what we've been led to believe..........
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Herts Mike wrote:A few mention low nitrogen. Have you tried with a nitrogenous feed? You might be surprised at the results.........

And not what we've been led to believe..........
Please tell us more, Mike.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Maurice Vaughan
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by Maurice Vaughan »

I make up my own concoction which has elements of rain water main ingredient, nitrogen, phostrogen, a general plant food, and finally cactus focus a balanced nutrition for cacti and succulents. It is noticable after a couple of days that the cactus become a richer colour of green, and the succulents thrive on the mixture. I am probably going OTT but if it works why change it? BY the way my Pelargoniums love the food , not really its just the water that they enjoy. :???:
Thank you .
Maurice
My intrests are centered around Astrophytums and the Stapeliads
I am a member of the Cambridge group of CSS