Using Rubbing Alcohol As Spray For Insect Pests

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Flavio
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Using Rubbing Alcohol As Spray For Insect Pests

Post by Flavio »

Does anyone, except me use alcohol to spray on individual cactus plants for mealy bugs in their greenhouse? I attempt to spot check my plants daily for these bugs which always seem to appear from who knows where. At times I find some individual plants which have more than a few of these bugs on them so I spray with alcohol in order to get the plant completely covered. Although this works for me I have not had a chance to determine the long term effects on cactus health when using this menthod of control. I would appreciate any comments pro or con on my practice.
majcka
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Using Rubbing Alcohol As Spray For Insect Pests

Post by majcka »

This is no pro et contra thing. You do it right only not quite sufficient. You should squeeze them first. With toothpic or something like that. Than spray with alcohol. When weather permits (not during rest time) I water them with home made insecticid (water, tobaco and drop of liquid soap). This usualy works for quite some time.

This beasts can have a queen hiden in soil (that's where they come from). With tobaco you kill that one.
Maja
BCSS No. 50507

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier.
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

I sometimes spray with alcohol against spider mites, and have done so for for at least 10 years. I let the plant(s) sit in a plastic bag for about one hour after spraying to prevent the alcohol from evaporating too quickly.
Flavio
Registered Guest

Post by Flavio »

Thanks for your replies, they are appreciated.