Advices request for sowing some species

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Advices request for sowing some species

Post by topsy »

For the record - Bob Kent is indeed a friend of Steve Hammer's but I do not think he is a plant hunter in South Africa as he lives close to Steve in Vista and has an extensive and extremely comprehensive collection of Haworthias, and is, I believe in his 80s.

Suzanne Mace
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

topsy wrote:For the record - Bob Kent is indeed a friend of Steve Hammer but I do not think he is a plant hunter in South Africa as he lives close to Steve in Vista and has an extensive and extremely comprehensive collection of Haworthias, and is, I believe in his 80s.
Suzanne Mace
Indeed, Stuart Riley gave an excellent talk on Bob Kent and Steve Hammer at the last Haworthia Society Convention:
Steve and Bob.jpg
Steve watching Bob pollinating haworthias (photo, courtesy of Stuart Riley)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

topsy wrote:For the record - Bob Kent is indeed a friend of Steve Hammer's but I do not think he is a plant hunter in South Africa as he lives close to Steve in Vista and has an extensive and extremely comprehensive collection of Haworthias, and is, I believe in his 80s.

Suzanne Mace
So are you saying he has never made any field collection of South African plants?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

esp wrote:
topsy wrote:Bob Kent is indeed a friend of Steve Hammer's but I do not think he is a plant hunter in South Africa
Well, that's not what I said.
As far as I can ascertain, he visited South Africa on various occasions to study the flora.
Or are you saying he has never made any field collection of South African plants, and any references to BK will categorically not be relevant to him?
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:
Aiko wrote:I just got some Massonia and Daubenya seeds in from the SABG (Southern African Bulb Group).
By the way, anyone in the know what BK stands for, in "Massonia sp. BK"?
I now know what the BK stands for. It is the initial of a bulb enthusiast, that delivered the seeds, grown from plants originating from Eden Plants twelve years ago.

The locality data for this "Massonia sp. BK" should be: "N. of Stutterheim", and it is (probably) a Massonia hirsuta.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

A bit of info for what it's worth.......Bob Kent has recently passed on all of his Haworthia collection into Steven Hammers care.

Steven told me that Bob visited South Africa (once?) and collected a few bits and pieces which included a leaf or two of Adromischus cristatus at Kayser's Beach in the Eastern Cape, which is now in general cultivation.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

No signs of any habitat plants in Bob Kent's collection, mostly superb seed-grown cultivars and hybrids - grown outdoors all year round in California. If sold individually, they'd probably fetch a seven figure sum. Can't think how SH would find room for them all but I'd hope that flower stems from some of the best ones could be sent to Hawaii for cloning.
Stuart
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I asked SH the same thing thinking he'd need another place to house them. He said he just moved some things around and consolidated what he had so managed to get all Bob's plants accommodated.

They will be safe with Steven for a few years and he's one of the best propagators and hybridisers there is.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:
Aiko wrote:This time I am looking for advice on sowing Yucca

[...]

I have the same question for Peperomia monticola and Rauhia peruviana.
No one with some experience in growing these from seeds?
Anyone with some further advice on Rauhia peruviana? I tried sowing it twice before, without any results showing for it. Now I got another small batch to try.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Hi Aiko
I'd imagine you just require fresh seed, as many Amaryllidaceae lose viability very rapidly.
See http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswi ... php/Rauhia
cheers