Advices request for sowing some species

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Advices request for sowing some species

Post by Aiko »

I have sown all my Othonna and Bulbine seeds this afernoon. If sowing this early in March is good or bad does not matter now. I will be learning something from own experience anyway. Some of the Othonna species have fluffy seeds. I removed most of them, to see if that would be a plus or a minus for germination and fungus control.

But some more directions on sowing Tylecodon and Massonia would be very much appreciated!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: 3 - Different Bulbine species (B. haworthioides, B. margarethae, B. praemorsa, B. bruynsii)
Not much experience sowing Bulbine, and not much luck with that just yet. I assume it can me sown late March along with Haworthia and mesembs. Would like confirmation. Or best sown in autumn?

5 - Different Othonna species (O. lepidocaulis, O. sonchifolia, O. protecta, O. macrosperma)
First try at Othonnas. I know they have a bad name when it comes to germination rates. Yet again I assume early spring to be a good time to sow. Or would they prefer it a bit warmer, and better to sow them along with cacti in warmer April?
I have sown all of these, and after three weeks only Othonna sonchifolia has germinated (five out of five!). It's the only Othonna with fluffy ends on the seeds that I have sown with the fluffy ends. Of the others I had removed the fluffy ends. I wonder if this might have made a difference...

All other species have not yet germinated.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Allright, I would like to have some more advice on sowing different species of South African bulbs.
I sow with the baggy method in an unheated greenhouse, no additional lights, mild UK-like weather.

Albuca spiralis - Anyone with experience when is the best time to sow? I would think March. Still doubting a bit if September would be better, though...

Daubenya zeyheri - Late summer / early autumn will be the best?

Drimiopsis uniflora and Drimia elata- Another doubter. Summer active ones, that I know. Sowing one time before of Drimiopsis in March was not successful. Could have been bad luck. Maybe better to sow later, somewhere in April when it is getting warmer and more spring-like?

Massonia wittebergensis - Should be a summer growing Massonia (the only one in the genus?). Preferably March when nights are still cold and daytimes okay, or April when nights are just chilly and daytimes can be warm?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

And an update on this:
Aiko wrote:I am probably going to sow the Tylecodons again in March. If this will fail again, I will try autumn.
This year sowing in early spring went much better, although I think the germination rate could have been much better. Worthwhile to try them in autumn.
Aiko wrote:I have made a decision. I think I will sow the Othonnas this weekend. And if that somehow fails, I follow the advice Rene has given.
It took a long while, but eventually the Othonna seeds did germinate. I think they took about a month or three. A decent germination rate (although seeds per batch were low, so still not very conclusive). Worth trying again this early for Othonna.
Liz M wrote:Bulbine, plant now water well but keep them above freezing. They will probably grow like weeds.
My comment applying to Othonna when it comes to taking their time also applies to Bulbine. Some also took their time. Of some of the Bulbine (especially B. bruynsii) a restart in autumn was definitely required. Bulbine mesembryanthemum is indeed growing quite fast, but the others are taking their time. I would think sowing in autumn would be better for Bulbine.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

So how did you do with the Daubenya and Massonia wittebergensis?
I sowed both last week and would like to know what to expect
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

BrianMc wrote:So how did you do with the Daubenya and Massonia wittebergensis?
I still need to sow them! My post was only posted yesterday. The updated above was about my question of a year ago.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

:duh:
I saw the post above dated 2013! :roll:

We will have to compare notes eventually. The Daubenya I sowed was D.aurea
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:Albuca spiralis - Anyone with experience when is the best time to sow? I would think March. Still doubting a bit if September would be better, though...

Daubenya zeyheri - Late summer / early autumn will be the best?

Drimiopsis uniflora and Drimia elata- Another doubter. Summer active ones, that I know. Sowing one time before of Drimiopsis in March was not successful. Could have been bad luck. Maybe better to sow later, somewhere in April when it is getting warmer and more spring-like?

Massonia wittebergensis - Should be a summer growing Massonia (the only one in the genus?). Preferably March when nights are still cold and daytimes okay, or April when nights are just chilly and daytimes can be warm?
Anyone with some guiding advice out there?
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Anyone with some guiding advice out there?
on 28 January I sowed :
Massonia wittebergensis (5 seeds) first seed germinated 11 February - 2 more germinated 16 February
Massonia jasminiflora (3 seeds ) One seed germinated 16 February
Daubenya aurea ( 10 seeds) one seed germinated 11 February - no further germination yet.

Seed was sown in sterilised soil placed in zip lock bags placed in a propagator at 20C on continually, with a T5 tube on during daylight hours. There doesn't seem to be any special requirements for germination other than good quality seed and patience.
I remember my Massonia pustulata seed grew very easily in the propagator in late winter just sown in 2" pots, not even 'baggie' method
I was wondering why you consider M.wittebergensis to be a summer grower. If it is named after the same Witteberg of Conophytum fame it must surly be of autumn/winter rainfall area origin. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

BrianMc wrote:I was wondering why you consider M.wittebergensis to be a summer grower. If it is named after the same Witteberg of Conophytum fame it must surly be of autumn/winter rainfall area origin. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.
It is a summer grower according to the seed list of African Bulbs, where I ordered the seeds from.