Advices request for sowing some species

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Advices request for sowing some species

Post by Aiko »

I am looking for some more sowing advice. This time I am looking for advice on sowing Yucca, especially the following hardy species:
Yucca elata
Yucca schidigera
Yucca schottii
Yucca torreyi

I always sow in an unheated greenhouse. I have two distinct timings of sowing, which serves me very well for most species. In late March I sow mesembs and Haworthia. Late April I sow all cacti and the heath loving African species like Pachypodium and such. (Well, I also have a third timing, late August, for extreme winter active species like Diplosoma)

Will Yucca germinate best in late March along with mesembs and Haworthias, or better save them for late April when both the night time and day time temperatures are higher?

I have the same question for Peperomia monticola and Rauhia peruviana. Also a bit of a doubt for me what would be best. Late March or late April?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:This time I am looking for advice on sowing Yucca

[...]

I have the same question for Peperomia monticola and Rauhia peruviana.
No one with some experience in growing these from seeds?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Still no-one with hands-on experience with these species that can give some advice? That's disappointing...
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I will then just sow the Yucca coming weekend, along with my mesembs.

Don't know yet what to do with Peperomia monticola and Rauhia peruviana. I think I will wait for warmer spring weather for these.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I don't get the impression Yucca are difficult from seed.
There is a description 2/3 of the way down this page:
http://www.bennyskaktus.dk/propagat_UK.htm#Yucca
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Aiko,
Not grown yucca from seed but agaves are easy enough.
I did once grown some p monticola but they slowly all died, I think I watered them when dormant & killed them.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Aiko
I found some old yucca seed, they were sown less than 2 weeks ago & have already started to germinate so yours should be fine.
I used baggy method & bottom heat, they will come out of the bag in a few weeks time.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Thanks for the advice on Yucca.

Acutally I am a bit more doubting what to do about the Peperomia monticola, and a bit less on Rauhia. Especially Peperomia monticola I tried once before but had no result whatsoever a year ago. Luckily I could order another batch from ADBLPS in the summer to retry them again under different circumstances.

I will retry the previously failed pot again very soon. And probably hold the fresher seeds of P. monticola for when spring is a bit more advanced. I think...
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I have just sown the Yucca seeds. I will be sowing mesembs next week. Maybe I will sow Rauhia and Peperomia then too. I have one week to make up my mind.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

One thought was to look on the specks cultivation advice sheet and see when they recommend watering, then sow about the same ( or before) so you can have them growing at the right time.
Tina

Bucks, UK