Cold effects

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Cold effects

Post by Liz M »

Looking round the greenhouse and a few of the pots outside, I have seen how much the cold has affected plant colour. Some of the Sempervivums have gone a deep red, as have a couple of Sedums and a Delosperma. In the greenhouse many of the Echeverias have gone amazing shades of red but they appear in 'Winter Colour'. So here is Sempervivum calcareum
IMG_6739.20001.jpg
Then Sedum stenopetalum 'Douglassii', which is a very unassuming plant and very easy to grow but a lovely shade of reddish-brown
IMG_6827.10001.jpg
Then Sedum 'Red Raver', which will turn an even deeper red once it is in full growth, it has lovely bright yellow flowers, which make a good contrast with the leaves
IMG_6824.10001.jpg
Finally this Delosperma, which I have as D nubigens, as it has bright yellow flowers in late Spring. It has not been outside all winter, I brought it outside a couple of weeks ago, since when it turned red
IMG_6829.10001.jpg
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
3bears
Branch: None

Re: Cold effects

Post by 3bears »

i think they have turned red from bright light, this is the time of year you have to be careful of sunburn. when trees get leaves, there is more shade and the green color should return.
iann
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Bright sun and cool temperatures certainly bring out the shades. All my Delospermas are red, some quite startling. Or worrying depending on how I'm feeling that day :)
Cheshire, UK
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Liz, I was considering this feature myself just this week. I have never seen the rupstre group of sedums quite so red.
The combination of cold, dry weather, with the increasing strength of the sun has combined beautifully. My Echeverias are now in growth as I have been watering for a month so the red is not quite as strong now. :wink:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Nice red Delosperma:
sanipass-0410.jpg
Does this count?
burgeri-0410.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Adam Davis
Registered Guest

Post by Adam Davis »

What plant is in the second one. It looks like a red blob.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Many of my Haworthia are as red as they get at the height of summer at the moment, apart from a light shower this morning we have had nothing but sunshine or hazy sunshine for the last 2 weeks with the greenhouse reaching the mid 80's.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Adam Davis wrote:What plant is in the second one. It looks like a red blob.
Conophytum burgeri, I am certain.
Josh
Registered Guest

Post by Josh »

BrianMc wrote:"rupstre"
Could find only this so far...
And this. This doesn't count, does it?:)
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

i think you are correct. red from the cold not sunlight. every winter my myrtillocactus turn
red from the cold. only now are they turning back to green.
Bob