Post your ugliest cactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Lithos
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Re: Post your ugliest cactus

Post by Lithos »

Grey, very grey - reminds me of Bill Nighy and Davy Jones locker, the Black Pearl etc........

I remember on a visit to 'Cactusville' - Gordon Rowley proudly showing me his large collection of pressed dead Uebelmannias that he had succesfully killed over the years. Does anyone else preserve their dead?
Alan Clark
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Alan Clark »

This is another specimen of Lobivia maximiliana 'charazanensis' , looking very similar to Phil's.
IMG_7942.jpg
Interested in cacti (particularly Echinopsis, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, Lobivia, Gymnos and Chamaelobivia), Stapeliads, Sempervivums, and anything else that takes my fancy.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

That's an uncanny similarity!

I love Lobivia & kin but they're so hard to keep looking good. :bangh:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
JST
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by JST »

No, this it. I have no idea how it even came to be in my collection, other than the usual excuse of starting collecting when I was a teenager (nearly 40 years ago), and at that stage where you collect anything and everything.

Every year it shows more scarring, it never flowers and, to cap it all, covers my hands in itchy glochids if I try and show it any kindness. A few years ago, I detached a pad and rooted it in the vain hope it would provide a decent plant, but no. Now I am stuck with two of the ugly b***ers. Its horrible and I hate it with a vengeance!

Seriously, if anyone wants to give it (them) a good home, please PM me. PLEASE...... :lol:
Opuntia articulatus v papyracantha 1b.jpg
Last edited by Bill on Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please use Place Inline when posting images.
BCSS member 49864
Alan Clark
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Alan Clark »

Maihuenia poeppigii. I used to grow this in my greenhouse but for the last few years it has lived outside permanently with no protection. Since then it has looked much happier but no prettier, and it has never flowered.
IMG_7947.jpg
Interested in cacti (particularly Echinopsis, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, Lobivia, Gymnos and Chamaelobivia), Stapeliads, Sempervivums, and anything else that takes my fancy.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Thanks for posting, Alan, for I think the Maihuenia has a primitive beauty, certainly not ugly :smile:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)