Pachypodium namaquanum care

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
sploch
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Pachypodium namaquanum care

Post by sploch »

i recently purchased a P. namaquanum and i have a general idea on the care (keep warm, water in the winter) but is there any other things i need to know about the species the plant is in leaf atm and they are alittle yellow is this of any concern?
Terry S.

Re: Pachypodium namaquanum care

Post by Terry S. »

It is a species with quite a wide distribution that grows near the Orange River in South Africa and Namibia, so the high temperatures required for the Madagascan species are not needed. My plants go down to 5C in the winter along with most other things in the collection. In cultivation it seems to hold leaves for most of the time although a number will go yellow and fall off at this time of year. Most of the new leaves are produced in the autumn. I would suggest cautious watering right through the year and a very well-drained mix when you repot - best done in autumn just before the new growth flush.
sploch
Branch: None

Post by sploch »

i dont think drainage will be a problem ^^ the compost has pea gravel, perlite and sand in it ^^
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I give mine the same treatment as all the other plants. I allow it to go dormant in winter (down to 5C) and it drops all it leaves. Start watering in the spring with the other plants and within 2-3 weeks its full of leaves/flowers again. Done this for over 20 years. As Terry posted it is not a Madagascar plant so high temps. not required. Cheers