Aztekium valdezii, what is the world coming to?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Aztekium valdezii, what is the world coming to?

Post by DaveW »

Nice picture of Aztekium valdezii here:-

http://www.cactusi.net/poza.php?id=5431
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

DaveW wrote:Nice picture of Aztekium valdezii here:-

http://www.cactusi.net/poza.php?id=5431
Already one digged (dug?) out of the dirt? That's not a good sign...
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Maybe it'd be better if we just didn't discover species and left them to there own devices.At least the list would be shorter for people to go an collect...
Greg
BCSS Chairman
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.
Jeff S
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Jeff S »

GregoryBulmer wrote:Maybe it'd be better if we just didn't discover species and left them to there own devices.At least the list would be shorter for people to go an collect...
If no one looked for plants in habitat. this Forum or Hobby wouldn't exist.
Jeff S
Coventry Branch since 1988
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Yes certainly. It was more meaning they'd be less for people to starting digging up. Like that picture,only just discovered but someones still dug it up and shoved it in a pot. I was talking more ideally than realistically really.
Greg
BCSS Chairman
Member since 2012
Jeff S
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Jeff S »

I understand what you mean Gregory, I would love one of these new plants myself, but I don't like the idea of the habitat being wrecked to get it.
Jeff S
Coventry Branch since 1988
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Me too Jeff,but I'll have to wait,the initial seedlings will be priced out of my budget!
Greg
BCSS Chairman
Member since 2012
John Gamesby
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by John Gamesby »

DaveW wrote:Lets hope DNA studies are done first this time to prove relationships or possible hybridity before the morphologists try and classify or reclassify it on visual characteristics alone, as they did with Digitostigma.
Was that really done with Digitostigma? What was discovered? I'm sure that it was not a hybrid, but was it determined which Astro it is closest related to? Don't suppose you have a link to a discussion of the results? I'd love to read it!
Cheers John

[Image
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

See http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 9&#p213259 John. The rest of Astrophytum are caput-medusae's nearest relative, meaning it's a matter of taste whether you treat it as Astrophytum or Digitostigma.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
eduart
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by eduart »

Hi,
Already one digged (dug?) out of the dirt? That's not a good sign...
The potted plant is part of a program designed to make seeds commercially available in a relatively short period of time. The intention is to avoid to a certain extent habitat destruction. Similar so Digitostigma Project. However, It's sad that the pictures leaked out and now the world knows now about it. The need for sensationalism. I disagree with all who published pictures and generated a huge interest in this plant.The original description is still due to appear, seeds are not available yet... it shouldn't have happened.

We, at Xerophilia, knew about Aztekium valdezii since December last year. We even secured the right to publish pictures & info, once officially published. However, we didn't put anything in our June issue, even if the entire thing came out couple of weeks before. People risk their lives to get the plant and make seeds / seedlings available in the shortest time possible, without interfering too much with the habitat. Luckily valdezii grows in an are where not many people would want to go, and people living there are not interested in cacti, if you know what I mean. There is a chance that habitat destruction won't happen to the extent it happened with Digitostigma, where again, it was leaked information causing the damage.

Cheers,
Eduart
CSSNZ Auckland Branch

https://carpophyma.page.tl/