pachypodium

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
highland.hermit
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Member

pachypodium

Post by highland.hermit »

i just went into lidl to buy a ponytail palm that was listed as one of three types of palm on offer, but it seems they dont know their ass from their elbow as none of the listed names or pictures on the store website were correct.
i did however discover they are selling pachypodiums. so i bought one.
it looks a good specimen. but what do i do to encourage the caudex to get bigger? i know i do need to re pot it with decent soil and a bigger pot (i think)
Attachments
pachypodium.jpg
pachypodium.jpg (144.6 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
majcka
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: pachypodium

Post by majcka »

Bigger pot isn't necesary. Another soil is different story. Truth is I still didn't repot mine I bought in Lidl (Aldi). :lol:

But on my Pachipodium was the right label. :wink:
Last edited by majcka on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maja
BCSS No. 50507

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier.
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: MEDWAY TOWNS

Post by Tina »

Hi
It's not a caudex growing Pachypodium, probably Pachypodium lamerei.
You need to get it out of that peat compost though
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
highland.hermit
BCSS Member

ah thanks. i wasnt sure what type it was. i still like it , not being a caudex. i need to find something i can protect myself when i repot with decent soil. i only 4 days ago disposed on a weeks worth of newspapers after my visitors left. i dont buy newspapers. lol.
it will have to live in the open garden for a while untill my gh gets built. hope it dont get caithness weather beaten :mrgreen:
3bears
Branch: None

Post by 3bears »

highland.hermit wrote:what do i do to encourage the caudex to get bigger?
you can double the stem size this year if you keep it continously in about 1" of water. i kept mine in a bird bath one summer. they are glutenous drinkers.
highland.hermit
BCSS Member

3bears wrote:
highland.hermit wrote:what do i do to encourage the caudex to get bigger?
you can double the stem size this year if you keep it continously in about 1" of water. i kept mine in a bird bath one summer. they are glutenous drinkers.

thanks. ive just re potted into a slightly deeper pot. i was dismayed to discover my bag of soil has become sodden, but as i had already removed my plant from previous pot i had no choice but to continue the re potting with the sodden soil and sit in the warm sunlight to try and evaporate some of the excess water from the soil. im hoping my plant is greedy enough to drink some of it up before it rots its roots.