Fockea edulis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
phyllonemus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Fockea edulis

Post by phyllonemus »

Hi Tina thanks again (tu) .
I see on tour signature your an Euphorbia fan.
I'm also an Euphorbia ( and caudex) fan.

I have succulent Euphorbia and two Perrennial Euphorbia species in the garden.

Greets, Riny
Riny

Varied collection of succulents but I especially like Euphorbia's, Apocynaceae and Cucurbitaceae.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by CactusFanDan »

phyllonemus wrote:That's a lot of water, I may assume this is a big plant ?

And did you water in the dormancy period ?
I want tot place this plant in the living room, i think in dormancy period it neef soms water at very low quantities, do you agree ?
Above-ground the caudex is just about smaller than my fist, but below the surface I imagine it's a lot bigger. It grows indoors on my windowsill with some additional artificial light, so it doesn't really go dormant unless I wanted to force it. It put out at least 4 metres of vines in the space of 1-2 months with liberal watering and the caudex more or less doubled in size. Mine seems to keep it's foliage, and thus need water, all year round.

I posted a picture of my plant when I repotted it last and someone commented that it looked thirsty, so I've been more liberal with the water this year.
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Riny
Yes I do keep a few Euphorbia in an 8x12 with mostly greenhouse with some other heat loving plants, you have to love them as they are such a diverse group of plants. You can get some good caudexes on them as well as most other shapes & forms or even garden plants .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Tina wrote:Hi Keith
The choice is yours, if you have the space bringing it indoors will increase the growing period for the fockea but you need to be able to supply enough light so you don't get straggly growth but it can be trimmed a little but is slow to regrow if you give it a major cut.
Well I decided to keep it in the greenhouse and today at last got around to investigating just how pot bound it was.
Fockea edulis
Fockea edulis
It had been in a 160mm dia. x 190mm deep pot (mug for scale) which had to be cut to remove the plant, almost all the compost has gone from the pot. I have replanted in a much larger pot, keeping the same planting depth, it now looks like a few green twigs in a bucket :)
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
Lovely plants and good solid roots,
it now looks like a few green twigs in a bucket :)
it will soon be vining around all the neighbouring plants, best get some training wires ready.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Tina wrote:Hi
Lovely plants and good solid roots,
it now looks like a few green twigs in a bucket :)
it will soon be vining around all the neighbouring plants, best get some training wires ready.
Thank you Tina, and to think my dad had relegated it to the 'go to cactus heaven' corner!
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554