Updated seed lists

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
mary44
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by mary44 »

I just wondered if everyone who had an email saying their order from mesa gardens was being worked on has heard back with details of payment etc?

I ordered on 8th Jan and got an email on the 27th saying they were working on my order and would get back to me with payment details and have heard nothing more since then. I get the feeling most people heard back with payment request after a few hours so am left wondering if something might have gone wrong somewhere.

its the first time I have ordered from them so am unused to the timings involved.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

Hello Mary, I think you should have had another email within a couple of days. If you have still not heard from them try emailing again and ask them what is happening with your order.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
Torbjorn
BCSS Member

Post by Torbjorn »

I think Steven Brack (mesa Garden) is working hard to catch up.
An order with him has never failed for me.
I ordered Jan 09 2016, and had a message today that my order is being processed today.
Patience....
Regards,
Torbjörn
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I wonder how long it is taking for people to receive orders from ADBLPS?
I ordered with payment on 14th Dec, received a confirmation on 15th Dec saying the order would be sent at the beginning of January.
On 21st January I enquired about the order, and received a reply 2 days later saying my order would be sent the following week. It still hasn't arrived.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

esp wrote:I wonder how long it is taking for people to receive orders from ADBLPS?
I placed an order on 25 Nov (but bear in mind that that was within hours of the new list being released so I would've been at the front of the queue). He emailed me on 28 Dec to say that they had been posted and they arrived on the 30th.
The wait you're experiencing seems about right for when you placed your order.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

Thanks Allan and Torjborn,

I have still not had a request for payment and now I hear from you they are working on emails from the following day, I have now emailed and tried to make contact via facebook. No reply to email unsurprisingly (I imagine if I am getting concerned I will not be the only one) I did get a response from the lady who is maintaining the facebook page saying she would check for me and heard no more :???: .

I was really looking forward to getting some seeds from them having heard such good things about their seeds and am now thinking I will not bother again, its just not worth the hastle. Thank goodness for the MSG seed list :smile:

Just a quick update to say I have had an email requesting payment so all is well.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:Another update, and another from the Czech Republic: Cactus Hobby Brno, http://www.cactus-hobby.eu/sem_5_2015.html
Something strange happened with my order.

Among other things, I ordered the Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii seeds. I was quite late, about three weeks after the list was updated. I was not really expecting both species to still be available, but gave it a try anyway.

It took about three months before I heard back. According to the amount I had to pay, both species were indeed missing. After receiving the seeds, the added delivery note confirmed Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii were missing, all others I ordered were in.

But...

I checked the seeds that were delivered. And according to the labels on the bags, the Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii were there! The number of seeds were also as ordered (both 50 seeds).

But I was missing two other species I should have received, but were not in. Solisia pectinata of 100 seeds and Mammillaria theresae var. albiflora for 40 seeds.

So a few scenarios could have happened:

(1) Somehow Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii bags were mixed up with Solisia pectinata and Mammillaria theresae v. albiflora. Even though M. sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii should have been out of stock and a mix up of something that is not there, does not seem likely. Especially not after three months? These two species should have been out of stock really quickly!

Or (2) the bags were both mislabeled (even though the numbers are long and it would be hard to mislabel such a long number entirely). The amounts of seeds are corresponding to what I ordered for M. sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii, both 50 seeds (S. pectinata should be 100 and M. theresae v. albiflora should be 40 seeds). Also less likely?

Or (3) the bags were mixed up with another order, someone else now got S. pectinata and M. theresae v. albiflora instead of M. sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii? But only two bags got mixed up, and coincidentally the two bags I really was very much interested in?

I already contacted Cactus Hobby Brno as I am sure they know how their delivery system works, but I was not given a potential explanation for what could have happened and what I can expect to be true, be it the labels on the bags or the delivery note.

Of course I could just wait and see the coming years what they will turn out to be. But before sowing I prefer to know what I received.

Can anyone out there maybe tell me in what way the seeds differ from each other visually? Are they really different in size? Something else I could see to confirm what I have, without the use of a microscope?
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

M. theresae v. albiflora will have noticeably bigger seeds than the other three. Apart from that I'm not sure the seeds would be that easy to tell apart unless you have access to photos of seeds. They should all be black though, as far as I can recall from the last time I sowed those species.

I ordered from Cactus-Hobby a year or so ago, and one of the Ariocarpus they sent are definitely something else entirely. Mix-ups happen though. I've been nothing but impressed with their service and the quality of their seeds. I think I'd photograph the seeds for potential future reference and then just sow them and see what appears.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

KarlR wrote:M. theresae v. albiflora will have noticeably bigger seeds than the other three.
That is helpful, thank you, assuming a non-albiflora M. theresae would also have bigger seeds. I got some of those from Succulenta.
KarlR wrote:Mix-ups happen though.
Yes, mix up happens, and I have seen those happen before. But this was a strange one.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Aiko wrote:That is helpful, thank you, assuming a non-albiflora M. theresae would also have bigger seeds. I got some of those from Succulenta.
No probs. They'll both be the same size, I'm sure. It's only the flower colour that separates them.
Aiko wrote:Yes, mix up happens, and I have seen those happen before. But this was a strange one.
It definitely sounds a bit strange. Probably most likely you got the seeds you ordered, but only one way to find out :grin: