Updated seed lists

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by Tina »

Hi Aiko
I have a tray of these - Solisia pectinata,, several years old so can swap you some at ELK this year if you want.
Just remind me nearer the time.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:So a few scenarios could have happened:

(1) Somehow Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii bags were mixed up with Solisia pectinata and Mammillaria theresae v. albiflora. Even though M. sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii should have been out of stock and a mix up of something that is not there, does not seem likely. Especially not after three months? These two species should have been out of stock really quickly!

Or (2) the bags were both mislabeled (even though the numbers are long and it would be hard to mislabel such a long number entirely). The amounts of seeds are corresponding to what I ordered for M. sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii, both 50 seeds (S. pectinata should be 100 and M. theresae v. albiflora should be 40 seeds). Also less likely?

Or (3) the bags were mixed up with another order, someone else now got S. pectinata and M. theresae v. albiflora instead of M. sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii? But only two bags got mixed up, and coincidentally the two bags I really was very much interested in?
It seems both the Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii are germinating. If they are what I think they are. The fact M. hernandezii is hard to germinate, would favour the idea it is not M. hernandezii. I cannot think I would have that much luck not only getting the seeds but also getting them to germinate... But hopefully later this year I can answer one or more of my questions, as the seedlings grow bigger.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Tina wrote:Hi Aiko
I have a tray of these - Solisia pectinata,, several years old so can swap you some at ELK this year if you want.
Just remind me nearer the time.
Thank you for the offer. I already have some of these germinating too!
(And being more confident it is really what it should be!)
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Seed ordering time is here again!

Kaktusy Nechvíl has just been updated: http://kaktusynechvil.wz.cz/offer.html
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: It seems both the Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae and M. hernandezii are germinating. If they are what I think they are.
A bit too soon to tell, but it looks they are!
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Aiko wrote:Seed ordering time is here again!

Kaktusy Nechvíl has just been updated: http://kaktusynechvil.wz.cz/offer.html
Thabnks for that. Is this a recommended supplier? I ask because after a break from he hobby for some time I have come back and having ordered from several Czech suppliers I was very disappointed with some, not only with their ability to process an order, but (particularly in one case) the germination rate was abysmal.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

ragamala wrote:Thabnks for that. Is this a recommended supplier? I ask because after a break from he hobby for some time I have come back and having ordered from several Czech suppliers I was very disappointed with some, not only with their ability to process an order, but (particularly in one case) the germination rate was abysmal.
The Czechs are slow. You just have to accept that, probably. Germination rates can also be a bit erratic. I had great germination and pretty bad germination rates on batches.

But my experience with Kaktusy Nechvíl based on last year (my only experience up until now) was very positive both on delivery speed and germination rates. I ordered mainly some of the tougher one to grow from seed (cryptocarpic Mammillaria species), and I was not disappointed. I have some fine looking Mammillaria growing. I believe I had the seeds delivered in about one to two weeks time? Can't remember exactly. But definately not as long as the other Czech sellers, which can take months. He is a bit more expensive, though. But has some nice choice species on offer, well worth a try.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Thanks for the advice
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Aiko wrote:
ragamala wrote:But my experience with Kaktusy Nechvíl based on last year (my only experience up until now) was very positive both on delivery speed and germination rates. I ordered mainly some of the tougher one to grow from seed (cryptocarpic Mammillaria species), and I was not disappointed. I have some fine looking Mammillaria growing. I believe I had the seeds delivered in about one to two weeks time? Can't remember exactly. But definately not as long as the other Czech sellers, which can take months. He is a bit more expensive, though. But has some nice choice species on offer, well worth a try.
Well it's excellent service so far. I ordered yesterday, had almost immediate confirmation and advice on total to send by paypal, and the seeds were despatched to me this morning. You can't ask for better than that. So many thanks for the recommendation.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

you are right koehres did. ordered some mostly fraileas and discocactus some turbinocarpus. they
didn't
have any uebelmannias just pectinera had good success with them last year. also bought from barmon just frauilaea. maybe updated but far from complete. I really like his seeds. at least he crosses out what is
out of stock. iam waiting for cactus hobby, he wrote that the update will come in October. very good seeds
good prices. he said he will work faster this year. mybe I wont have to order 6 months in advance.
well this is all the bull (s) I have to contribute now.