Updated seed lists

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by el48tel »

That is why I bought mine 3 weeks ago from the 2018 list. It arrived Friday and will be planted in a couple of days once my dry root delivery of the same day from elsewhere is fully planted up. I'm told that should you have the old catalogue numbers you can search and find and buy.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Yes but I had already ordered 2018 seeds early in 2018.

I wanted the new 2019 list but it doesn't look promising.
steviewang
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by steviewang »

Although there is so much complain,they would not go back.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Its so sad, as I used to rely on Mesa Garden for a wide range of species. Unless they sort their issues out, I find it difficult to see how it can be a going concern, as their income must have fallen off a cliff.

It shouldn't be so difficult to take their 2018 list, delete any out of stock, and transfer them (seeds and plants) into whatever format they have for their new website. Its been in this state for long enough (yes, I know some genera have been well populated) that I wonder if there's something else that is hidden from public view?
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

can anyone make a recommendation for caudiciform seeds? I have bought some from Koehres but the germ rate was pretty low, though its always hard to say why.

thanks

Peter
Peter Shaw
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

peter831shaw wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:58 pm can anyone make a recommendation for caudiciform seeds? I have bought some from Koehres but the germ rate was pretty low, though its always hard to say why.

thanks

Peter
What seeds did you try Peter? My recent order of caudiciforms from Koehres had a good germination rate.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

MikeDom wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm
peter831shaw wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:58 pm can anyone make a recommendation for caudiciform seeds? I have bought some from Koehres but the germ rate was pretty low, though its always hard to say why.

thanks

Peter
What seeds did you try Peter? My recent order of caudiciforms from Koehres had a good germination rate.
Opercularia for one, 1 germinated out of 20, Jatropa podagrica 2 out of 10,

another order:
Euphorbia obesa, grandicornis and stellata, Pachypodium bispinosum 0, Dorstenia foetida 1
Peter Shaw
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I did email Mesa as their site requested but no reply.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

peter831shaw wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 pm
MikeDom wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm

thanks

Peter
Opercularia for one, 1 germinated out of 20, Jatropa podagrica 2 out of 10,

another order:
Euphorbia obesa, grandicornis and stellata, Pachypodium bispinosum 0, Dorstenia foetida 1
Hi Peter,

It is disappointing when things don't turn out so well. I bought O decaryi seeds from Koehres last year and got 9/10 germination which was very good. I germinate mine at 24 Deg C. After a fortnight I drop temperatures down to 21 Deg and then 18 Deg a week later in case some are temperature sensitive.

I bought E tetragona from Koehres this year and had 4/10 germination. I always struggle with Euphorbia seeds, obesa and stellata seeds from my own plants only produced 1/12 and 1/18 respectively. P bispinosum needs high temperatures of 27 - 35 Deg C to germinate well and has to be very fresh as viability drops rapidly. I always get seeds of P succulentum [very similar] which I give away on this forum and get 100% germination because it is very fresh. Don't be too disheartened, if you managed to get a Dorstenia to germinate you're doing better than I ever have.

This past year I've used Koehres, Silverhill seeds and Cactus Aventures. Depends what caudiciforms you're after, but I had good germination from Cactus Aventures. Silverhill seeds packets were rammed with seeds and are popping up in their crowded seed trays. If you order by the seed, they throw in extras which is always welcome. Some seeds grow in both winter and summer rainfall areas, and the good thing about Silverhill is that it tells you which, so you don't try and germinate winter growers at high temperatures and vice versa.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I find Euphorbias tend rot, often before they germinate, if kept hot and too wet . Resist the temptation to bury them very deep, even if they are large seeds. Barely covered seems to work. Of course, it's a vast genus so there may be much variation between species.