Updated seed lists

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Updated seed lists

Post by el48tel »

The quality or not of the site worries me not .... I'm still waiting for the USPS / Royal Mail / HMRC to decide where my Mesa consignment is ..... no-one will put their hand up
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Astro »

It looks like the most ‘popular’ or in-demand species were added first, maybe to expedite the website rollout. All the choice lithops species seem to be there in (expected) numbers, but the likes of julii, hallii and karasmontana are very depleted compared to previous years. I hope they get added in later. Heh, it may be an opportunity to see what sells well these days.
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

Mesa have said they will be adding in more seeds over the next few weeks. I would imagine they will eventually list all the seeds from last years lists when it is finished. I get the feeling the site going live might have been a bit of an accident judging by the fact they posted on facebook only hours earlier that they were expecting it to go live next Friday. And then they said they were as surprised as everyone else when it went live today. Who knows.

I have copied a post from facebook as it appears relevant: a reply from Mesa to someone regarding accessing the new site.

"We are truly sorry for all your issues with ordering. The web traffic was insane and we had issues we hadn't seen with the beta testing group. As with anything new there are going to be some kinks to work out. Don't lose heart! We still have more seeds to add (50-80 more Conophytum numbers and 100's of lithops) which will be uploaded periodically thorough out the next few weeks".
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

It looks like they added their most popular mesembs genera first. There is literally one gymnocalycium species listed. Last year I checked, they had at least 50.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Ah, the assumption that we are all on facebook....
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Herts Mike wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:23 am Ah, the assumption that we are all on facebook....
Agreed - the assumption that FaceBrag rules all
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
SteveJones
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by SteveJones »

I'm on Facebook and it didn't do me a great deal of good. I looked at FB at 11am on Saturday and found the site had gone live while I was in the Land of Nod eight hours earlier (having expected it next Friday) Most of the choicer Conophytums I wanted to purchase had already been sold and even some Lithops cultivars had gone. :bangh: I wonder whether the Conos were released for the convenience of the Far East market???
Even if many many more species are added over the next few weeks its surely getting a liitle late in the year to sow the seed????
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I am not really getting the idea the Mesa Garden list is being expanded... Over one week later the Yucca, Gymnocalycium and Mammillaria are basically still not available. Gymnocalycium and Mammilaria are two species that might be high on the list to update, I would think.

And as spring and the ideal time to sow for me is coming closer and chances for me getting the seeds in time to still be able to sow are diminishing, looks like I will not be putting in an order for seeds this year...
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I have sown as late as June but not ideal.

Other than mesembs there are just 7 succulents, nothing like the lengthy lists Steve Brack had with descriptions. Unless something happens soon, no order from me either.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I really cannot understand why they went live, with such a sparse list! It would have been far better to delay until it was complete. Mesa Garden has always been the biggest and best source of seed, and I think there are going to be many disappointed customers, who may not return.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!