Too hot to germinate?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
steve.smith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Too hot to germinate?

Post by steve.smith »

Thats very informative Dave. Its interesting to see that that a Parodia has the lowest optimal germination temperature - 10 of my 36 pots contained Parodia / Notocactus seed, none germinating thus far!
Steve Smith

BCSS 50325 Leicestershire

Most Cacti and Succulents esp. Ariocarpus, Copiapoa, Eriosyce and thinking of branching into Asclepiads!
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

I always turn the propagator off at night, which I think is particularly important for high altitude genera.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

steve.smith wrote:Thats very informative Dave. Its interesting to see that that a Parodia has the lowest optimal germination temperature - 10 of my 36 pots contained Parodia / Notocactus seed, none germinating thus far!
That Parodia is almost certainly referring to the "original" Parodia which are high altitude Bolivian plants. Rge lowland Brazilian species now included probably have quite different needs.
Cheshire, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes Parodia "Parodia" not Notocactus "Parodia"! :grin:

John Donald once said to me long before they were combined that Parodia were just high altitude Notocactus, but obviously the oldest name takes priority when combining the two.

As Ian points out the higher altitude the plants come from the lower their optimum germination temperature is likely to be, plus the more effect on germination a fluctuation in day to night temperature is likely to have.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Ewen
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by Ewen »

I keep the temperature at 23C most of the time but drop it once germination has taken place to 21C or 19C
Attachments
Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum
Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum
Prop_5_Pachycereus_pecten-aboriginum.jpg (159.07 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
Pachycereus pringlei
Pachycereus pringlei
Prop_4_Pachycereus_pringlei.jpg (148.53 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
January seed sowing
January seed sowing
My propagation setup - stage 2 is to attach the grow lights beneath the shelving units - stage 3 is to cover with reflective foil
My propagation setup - stage 2 is to attach the grow lights beneath the shelving units - stage 3 is to cover with reflective foil
Ewen
BCSS Glasgow
Bridge of Weir - Scotland U.K.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

Those Pachycereus seedlings at huuuuge! :shock: I suppose they are big plants though. Also, you're wasting a fair bit of light there, Ewen. :smile:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Ewen
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by Ewen »

Hi Dan, yes the Pachycereus seedlings are just superb, really strong and as you can see, very fast growing although they're nowhere near the size of the Adansonia (Baobab) seedlings.

As for the light loss, it's on the list of things to do :grin: I just bought another 3 shelving units to help me store the dormant seedlings I have. I'm quickly running out of space but there is as they say, a master plan :cool: I'll post a wee photo of them maybe tomorrow, showing the chaos ensuing in another room in the house lol
Ewen
BCSS Glasgow
Bridge of Weir - Scotland U.K.