Hoodia gordonii 2

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Hoodia gordonii 2

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, been wondering lately how others grow this plant. Do you grow it as a Winter or Summer grower in the U.K. Mine seems to do quite well when given adequate water and feed in the Summer. Cheers
EuphorbianDM77
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Hoodia gordonii 2

Post by EuphorbianDM77 »

The only Hoodia's that haven't died on me are those I grew from seed a few years back.
All the others eventually rotted. Even when I hadn't watered for quite a while... My wintering conditions might just be too cold for 'em. I keep my fingers crossed for the ones from seed.

I keep them like most of my plants as summer growers. No water during winter.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

My 2009 sown Hoodia gordonii I also treat as a summer grower. Goes pretty well. I keep them dry from September to late March.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by CactusFanDan »

Summer growers only. Hoodias seem to hate being cold and wet moreso than anything else I grow. :razz:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks all. ok its seems to be a Summer grower, that what I thought. Do not see many on the show bench, wondered what size pot of this plant would be ok to enter a show.? Cheers