Aloe cremnophila

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aloe cremnophila

Post by Colin Walker »

DSCF5290 Aloe cremnophila small.jpg
DSCF5290 Aloe cremnophila small.jpg (233.86 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
This plant was obtained from Forum member BrianMc of the Glasgow Branch back in 2009.
It's a propagation of ISI 1450, which in turn was propagated from the type collection Reynolds 8450B which was used by Gilbert Reynolds to describe the species in 1961.
The plant was first collected by Peter Bally in October 1956 on cliff faces of the Daloh Escarpment, about 13 miles N. of Erigavo, Somalia. It is currently known from no other location, so it's a very narrow endemic.
It was named cremnophila because it only grows on precipitous cliffs, i.e. it's cliff-loving or a cremnophyte.
It's closest relative might be Aloe jacksonii from Ethiopia.

Here's it's shown in a 25 cm diam. pot, which I actually have as a hanging pot.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Re: Aloe cremnophila

Post by Colin Walker »

DSCF5286 Aloe cremnophila flowers small.jpg
DSCF5286 Aloe cremnophila flowers small.jpg (159.73 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
This is the first time this plant has flowered for me. As you can see from the previous pic, my plant is a quite a large clump, so it's not exactly floriferous!
Here's the flower spike, about 30 cm tall, with individual flowers being about 26 mm long.

Brian, do you find that it's a somewhat shy flowerer?

Reynolds grew several plants and after four years these only produced a single flower spike, which he used to base his description of the new species.

Anyhow, thanks again for the plant Brian. As you can see, it's grown well for me, but I suspect that its reluctance to flower with me isn't unique.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Wow Colin, well done. I'm afraid you put me to shame. I still have my plant(s), but without the room for repots and TLC they have not done very much. Certainly not flowered but proving to be very tough and resilient! Probably not too floriferous until a bit bigger, like yours is becoming.
I agree with your comment regarding relatedness to jacksonii. They both share a very similar leaf epidermis which appears to be fairly unique. Very useful information you give too.
Great to hear of your success! (tu)
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Beautiful, Colin. I love that vibrant leaf colour. If I stare at the first pic too long my eyes go googly! :shock:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

BrianMc wrote:Wow Colin, well done. I'm afraid you put me to shame. I still have my plant(s), but without the room for repots and TLC they have not done very much. Certainly not flowered but proving to be very tough and resilient! Probably not too floriferous until a bit bigger, like yours is becoming.
I agree with your comment regarding relatedness to jacksonii. They both share a very similar leaf epidermis which appears to be fairly unique. Very useful information you give too.
Thanks for the feedback Brian. You're certainly confirming that it's a reluctant flowerer. Think it's time you gave this interesting plant some TLC. You could always chuck out some of the mesembs to give you more space for the aloes - they deserve it. :smile:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Colin Walker wrote:
BrianMc wrote:Wow Colin, well done. I'm afraid you put me to shame. I still have my plant(s), but without the room for repots and TLC they have not done very much. Certainly not flowered but proving to be very tough and resilient! Probably not too floriferous until a bit bigger, like yours is becoming.
Thanks for the feedback Brian. You're certainly confirming that it's a reluctant flowerer. Think it's time you gave this interesting plant some TLC. You could always chuck out some of the mesembs to give you more space for the aloes - they deserve it. :smile:
Glad you like it Julie even though it's not a Euphorbia. Maybe I can convert you to some succulent monocots. :smile:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Colin Walker wrote:Maybe I can convert you to some succulent monocots. :smile:
Very nice, Colin. Indeed, nearly as nice as some of those other succulent monocots - why, Gasteria of course. :razz:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Colin/Brian

What light levels do you grow this in? I have a plant but stems have longer internodes compared to Colin's, so probably somewhat etiolated and not getting as much light as it would like. It's been under the staging, so little direct sunlight. Plenty of new stems from the base - will older stems root if I remove them? Although the stems sprawl along, they don't show much interest in rooting as they go. The sprawling habit means it's never going to find space on the staging. Any experience of growing it outside over the summer?
Aloe cremnophila
Aloe cremnophila
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

MikeT wrote:Colin/Brian

What light levels do you grow this in? I have a plant but stems have longer internodes compared to Colin's, so probably somewhat etiolated and not getting as much light as it would like. It's been under the staging, so little direct sunlight. Plenty of new stems from the base - will older stems root if I remove them? Although the stems sprawl along, they don't show much interest in rooting as they go. The sprawling habit means it's never going to find space on the staging. Any experience of growing it outside over the summer?
Mike, my plant is currently grown as a hanging pot high up in the greenhouse, so has had relatively high light levels. Compared to my plant yours does look a tad etiolated. I wouldn't recommend growing any aloe under the staging, but that's just my personal opinion. I'd recommend a hanging pot for this cliff-dweller since in the wild it grows hanging down from vertical cliffs. My plant also shows no signs of sending out roots from along the stems. I'd recommend a repot since your plant does look under-potted. My plant is going to be repotted into a large clay pan once it's finished flowering. I've as yet no experience of growing it outside during the summer, but I might try it with a rooted cutting to see how it fares.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Colin Walker wrote: I'd recommend a hanging pot for this cliff-dweller
Sounds a good idea but... The space available for hanging baskets is full with a couple of Aporocacti, a couple of Sedums (morganianum and 'Canny Hinny') and last years new acquisition of Cleistocactus winteri coldemonono. In fact it's more than full. I think the only practical option I have is to put it outside for the summer, after a repot.
Colin Walker wrote:I wouldn't recommend growing any aloe under the staging
Wouldn't argue with the theory. But I only have a 6 x 8 GH, so just not enough space. It's one of those aluminium and glass ones - just not elastic at all. Poor design really.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525