Austrocactus patagonicus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jens
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Austrocactus patagonicus

Post by Jens »

These seedlings from 2006 are coming to flower the first time. 4 of 120 seeds came up to be a plant so far.
Austrocactus patagonicus ex HPT 2014 Juno01-2.jpg
Austrocactus patagonicus ex HPT 2014 Juno01-5.jpg
Looking back they grew quite rapidly though
Austrocactus patagonicus HPTSämlinge 2012 Juli19.jpg
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Re: Austrocactus patagonicus

Post by AnTTun »

Well done Jens :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member

Post by TS Hakansson »

Nicely nicely. A bit hard from seed,no? (tu)
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

Well done, Jens.

I struggle with these too - germination for A. bertinii seems staggered and generally fairly poor. I received seeds from a number of different species from Norbert Sarnes last year. Seed of A. bertinii is still not doing much, but there are some species that seem to be a easier to germinate. I also found they are liable to rotting if kept in an enclosed humid atmosphere for too long.

Do you have any tips for growing these on, perhaps? The few seedlings that I have I am keen to keep alive...
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Christian wrote:I also found they are liable to rotting if kept in an enclosed humid atmosphere for too long.
I've found they're prone to rotting or simply 'giving up' even out of the humid atmosphere, typically in their 2nd or 3rd year.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Jens
BCSS Member

Post by Jens »

They don´t like standing air. And they don´t like heat either ,I finished off a flowering size plant by leaving it in the greenhouse in spring 2013. It dried up and never recovered.
Austrocactus react extreme to cultivational conditions - both posive and negative
Attachments
Austrocactus HPT901 2012 Mai20-5.jpg
Austrocactus coxii HPT 901 2011 April25-77.jpg
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes I think mine got too hot after flowering last year Jens and simply died after fruiting. It certainly did not rot, just drying up. My greenhouse was probably cold enough in winter as it normally goes down to freezing or below, but got far too hot for it in summer, therefore it would probably have been better put outside for the summer. I hope they are self fertile as I have seed off it.
patagonicus.jpg
Incidentally I think we should call it A. bertinii since that name takes precedence over A. patagonicus.

"This species occurs in cold areas, where it grows in the shelter of shrubs and covered by grass, with little exposure to sunlight (Kiesling and Ferrari 2009)."

http://eriosyce.mforos.com/1281721/1110 ... nero-2013/

I remember seeing a slide show of them in habitat at the Cactus Explorers growing near the shore in Patagonia with icebergs floating by on the sea, and that was in their summertime.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Jens
BCSS Member

Post by Jens »

Thanks for the link to the chilean Forum Dave, those are lovely plants in habitat.
Norbert Sarnes keeps telling that A. patagonicus is an ill defined name and shold be abandoned in favor to A. bertinii- but it sure sounds good :smile:
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

They seem to prefer a more alpine treatment to most other cacti, where they like to gorge on water early in the year when it's nice and cool, although I've been watering mine infrequently year-round. Mine really fattened up in late winter this year though. They're sort of like the South-american equivalent of Sclerocactus in some respects. :razz: Apparently acidic scarification of the seeds with a concentrated, strong acid is good for encouraging germination. I've currently got one plant from seed that I've sown myself, but it's gone totally monstrose and has around 50 growing points despite being about 2-inches in diameter. :lol:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes Jens some nice habitat pictures in some of their forums, at least I can "read" the pictures and botanical names if not the Spanish! :grin:

http://eriosyce.mforos.com/1114643-chil ... ordillera/
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.