Deuterocohnia digitata

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Deuterocohnia digitata

Post by Colin Walker »

Paul in Essex wrote:One of the major problems is that many of the xeric bromeliads take up a lot of real estate - they get BIG - and so are not suitable for small greenhouse cultivation. That leaves larger botanical glasshouses or the hardier species to be grown outdoors, of which there are but a few. That said I believe they make very interesting, architectural and, when flowering, beautiful additions to the xeric garden.

For the record, I have grown these outside since before the recent big freezes:

Fascicularia bicolor ssp bicolor
Fascicularia bicolor ssp canaliculata
Fascicularia litoralis (invalid name but, at the least, a different form of ssp bicolor)
Ochagavia carnea
Ochagavia litoralis (different to the Fascicularia above)
Greigia sphacelata
Puya spathacea
Puya alpestris
Puya caerulea
Puya hybrid bought as berteroana but most likely a cross with P. chilensis, given the flower colour
Puya unknown sp x2 - both doing very well!
Aechmea recurvata and some of its varieties.
Dyckia fosteriana
Dyckia 'Morris Hobbs'
Dyckia velascana
Hechtia glomerata
Deuterochonia (Abromeitiella) brevifolia
Billbergia nutans - not strictly a xeric but more epiphyte.

I have planted a few more puyas, dyckias et al recently which are starting to grow away nicely due to last year's non-existent winter.

Prior to the big freeze I tried anything up to another 20 or so taxa which all bit the dust.
Paul, you're right - they mostly do take up a lot of space.

I saw what I thought was Hechtia texensis in Texas last June, but I'm now not so sure about this. When I've time I'll look into this and also search my Texan pics.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
MattGibbs
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Deuterocohnia digitata

Post by MattGibbs »

Presumably no one from the judges committee 'got back' to anyone on the subject of some such plants at shows? :?: :geek:
Bradford Branch Show Secretary
BCSS Zone 3 Secretary