summer?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

summer?

Post by TS Hakansson »

I know that the winter in the UK was mild but very wet and wndy and that the spring was so-so,but the start of summer has been rather good. In Sweden we had a relatively mild and dry winter ,the spring was up and down for quite awhile but this summer!!It started nice enough but this last two weeks have had temps far below what is normal. On a good day the temp will reach 10/11 degrees C while nights go down to5/6 degrees. According to the wheather forecasts it will stay like this for another ten days so i am starting to get a bit worried for my plants. Anyone else on the Forum has a wheather like this?
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: summer?

Post by rodsmith »

We are more fortunate in the UK. Temperatures in Wales have been in the low to mid 20s for the past couple of weeks, with night time temps keeping above 10 degrees C.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

rodsmith wrote:with night time temps keeping above 10 degrees C.
Yes, far too hot overnight for my liking. My plants are hoping for cooler nights soon. :sad:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Phil_SK wrote:
rodsmith wrote:with night time temps keeping above 10 degrees C.
Yes, far too hot overnight for my liking. My plants are hoping for cooler nights soon. :sad:
Much much warmer than 10C in the greenhouse, even open all night.
Cheshire, UK
Torbjorn
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Torbjorn »

Hello,
I recorded 2.7 C 2 nights ago, not far from Thord. I brought many plants back into the greenhouse, mainly Disco, Melo, and Ubelmannias.
Would you not worry?
Torbjörn
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

I have no idea how you manage to grow cacti in Sweden! At least you're guaranteed a cold winter. Good luck is all I can say!