Yavia cryptocarpa

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Yavia cryptocarpa

Post by Eric Williams »

Good choice Martin. If you have 2 plants with offsets(different clones) are the offsets small enough to graft to Pereskiopsis. You may have a better chance of flowering quicker and possibly seeds in the future. Love to see a picture Cheers
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Here is my Yavia cryptocarpa from the original BCSS distribution. I bought two plants, one dried up on the graft and this one began to put out roots as the stock dried up. According to the label it has been on its own roots since at least 2011 possibly earlier. The old growth is gradually shrinking and moving down the stem forming a slight neck. Mine has never flowered.
uploadfromtaptalk1436353488065.JPG
uploadfromtaptalk1436353478696.JPG
Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Evidently near death or nearing it's end must have caused mine to flower then. Interesting to know I was not the only one to have what was initially a very thriving plant just later shrivel up on it's stock for no apparent reason.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks for the pic.Matchat, nice looking plant. How rare do you think these plants are in UK collections ?. Never seen any more for sale since the BCSS issue years ago. Cheers
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by matchat »

Hi Eric, I'm not sure about rarity. Certainly they don't come up for sale very often though I recall someone on here mentioning that they had successfully grown a few from seed. I suspect that they don't give up their seed very easily and that the seedlings are extremely slow growing. I was able to get a second plant (grafted) from elk 2013. So far it is still growing OK, I do have to keep cutting off the pups from the stock though.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Matchat, I agree what you say. Thinking back, I did see a grafted plant for auction on E bay about 2 years ago. I don,t do auctions, so I did not follow it. Cheers
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

looks like maybe a crest coming out of the front. they should be grafted. gave one to a friend didnt notice that the growing place was brown. well it put out about 10 offsets. my lose his gain.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Well it took me a while to get back to this

Here are my original plants

ImageGeneral 2015_499 by Oxford BCSS Group, on Flickr

ImageGeneral 2015_502 by Oxford BCSS Group, on Flickr

ImageGeneral 2015_507 by Oxford BCSS Group, on Flickr

And the new grafts looking ok up to now

ImageGeneral 2015_506 by Oxford BCSS Group, on Flickr

ImageGeneral 2015_503 by Oxford BCSS Group, on Flickr

My plan is to remove a few more if these work ok so I get a few going

As others have said I lost the other 2 as they just dried up on the grafts
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

H Martin, nice plants and grafts. I wonder if some clones produce offsets, and others do not. My clone No 3 never looked as if it was going to offset, I would have liked it to have done so, to attempt some grafts like you. May I ask what stock you have used in your pictures ? cheers
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

They are Harrisia jusberti which I cut down to about 3 inches so as not to pump up the scion too much

All of mine off setted like mad but as I have said before I have never had any flowers unlike a few have seen

Its interesting the difffernt appearance they all sit at the same place on the bench but the second clone is clearly more densely spined than the other 2 i think thats clone 55 same as the one shown by catchat

I should also add I find that the heads split quite easily on the grafts as you can see on a few of the heads so these new ones once growing I am going to be a little mean with on watering etc and try not to split them
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection