Expanded clay products

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Expanded clay products

Post by FaeLLe »

iann wrote:A bonsai is not a cactus, and not expecting that Akadama will break down doesn't stop it breaking down. Bonsai are (should be!) also repotted regularly, while a cactus or Lithops can sit in the same pot for a decade without too much trouble. Incidentally, many cacti are left in freezing conditions, although usually (not always!) quite dry. Cat litter (Seramis is essentially the same stuff) doesn't break down for a long long time in any conditions. Perlite doesn't break down easily although it is unpleasant stuff to work with and live with. Cat litter is relatively absorbent, while perlite is extremely dry. Both maintain good levels of air in the soil, perlite to the extent that it floats to the top of soil.
But if you repot every two years then use of akadama is acceptable?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

The two bonsai clubs I belong to all use cat litter of different sizes/stockists, one buys large sacks of cooked clay that is used for industrial spillages, it's very similar to Tesco cat litter.
Check out the website bonsai 4you, Harry Harrington & other bonsai growers even list what brands to buy.

The Japanese laugh at us using akadama as they get to overcharge for a product that is not suited to Uk conditions this was stated from a speaker that apprenticed over their and visits for the shows.

No one is forcing you to use it, just telling you what is a good product for our plants after years of experience.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Thanks Tina in any case I have very specific applications for akadama where cacti are concerned, they along with pumice make for good media under my 1000W lights to root caudiciforms.

Otherwise most of my compost gets augmented with grit and pumice. I don't use cat litter at all, might switch to seramis though once I'm done with this 25L sack.