Expanded clay products

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
graham
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Expanded clay products

Post by graham »

DaveW wrote:So far I have reclaimed about third of a hundred weight of grit during my present re-potting sessions
I envy you for having the time to do that...I must admit that where the pots have a top dressing of coarse gravel I do try to reclaim that but I'm afraid that's as far as it goes. Unless there is some reason to suspect some pathogens or pests I do quite often re-use the compost for larger more mature plants, often outdoor, although if I were able to I would probably sterilise it first but otherwise it just gets added to the outdoor beds.

It wouldn't be too difficult to rig up a shaker table based on a shaft running at a few revs per second, and an eccentric on the shaft connected to the table - I'm sure archaeologists must have something like that - although you would probably need a decent volume of water spray. You could separate out the sand and gravel and the let the washings settle and take that out as reclaimed 'loam'.

graham
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

It often takes less time getting enough grit out of the old compost Graham than getting in the car and fetching a new bag from the garden centre, cheaper too = grit plus motor fuel to fetch it.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
trex
Registered Guest

Post by trex »

Can I use Sanicat 7 days Aloe Vera instead of Sanicat Pink, because it is not sold in my country, as a difference I see that the Sanicat Aloe Vera has smaller granules.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

trex wrote:Can I use Sanicat 7 days Aloe Vera instead of Sanicat Pink, because it is not sold in my country, as a difference I see that the Sanicat Aloe Vera has smaller granules.
It says it is made from "Calcined Attapulgite" which should be OK. It does look very fine though.
Cheshire, UK
trex
Registered Guest

Post by trex »

iann wrote:
trex wrote:Can I use Sanicat 7 days Aloe Vera instead of Sanicat Pink, because it is not sold in my country, as a difference I see that the Sanicat Aloe Vera has smaller granules.
It says it is made from "Calcined Attapulgite" which should be OK. It does look very fine though.
It looks too fine for me too, but here do not sell Sanicat Pink.
I have another option to buy - japanese Akadama (have no idea about the brand or quality though) - size is 4-8mm. I think it will be better than the too fine cat litter. How do you think? Also can I add lava rock (heavy) to the Akadama? (because here sells that too). If yes, at what ratio to mix them?
Attachments
120064_0.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
I know some Uk growers rave over it but japanese Akadama breaks down in Uk conditions so it's not an equal alternative to cat litter
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Pjt124
Registered Guest
Branch: HARROW

Post by Pjt124 »

I have been experimenting with Perlite. It is very light and airy and can be found in Wyevale in relatively small quantities. I mix two coarse sand, twoJI soil compost, and two Perlite. When I mix up a large bucket full I put in a pinch of potash, pinch of bone meal and a pinch of superphosate.
The plants seem to like it and it drains freely at watering so.
trex
Registered Guest

Post by trex »

Tina wrote:Hi
I know some Uk growers rave over it but japanese Akadama breaks down in Uk conditions so it's not an equal alternative to cat litter
From your opinion I am starting to think that it will be best to stick with my Seramis, which I currently use. I will try to find out Sanicat Pink, but for now I can't. If you know other European brands (not sold only in UK) of suitable cat litter please share the information.
Attachments
seramis.jpg
seramis.jpg (34.31 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by FaeLLe »

Tina wrote:Hi
Does cat litter not break down with frost etc. ?

British Bonsai Association and loads of other pro bonsai growers seem to grow their trees outdoors all year long without protection in akadama so I don't see why it will not be ideal in UK weather. Our weak plants are protected in greenhouses so are probably safer :razz:

I think ultimately it depends on the grade of akadama too, I buy the highest grade japanese imports and they seem to be very nice and does not stay as wet as cat litter too...
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

A bonsai is not a cactus, and not expecting that Akadama will break down doesn't stop it breaking down. Bonsai are (should be!) also repotted regularly, while a cactus or Lithops can sit in the same pot for a decade without too much trouble. Incidentally, many cacti are left in freezing conditions, although usually (not always!) quite dry. Cat litter (Seramis is essentially the same stuff) doesn't break down for a long long time in any conditions. Perlite doesn't break down easily although it is unpleasant stuff to work with and live with. Cat litter is relatively absorbent, while perlite is extremely dry. Both maintain good levels of air in the soil, perlite to the extent that it floats to the top of soil.
Cheshire, UK