Systemic insecticide for red spider mite

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Karsty
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON

Re: Systemic insecticide for red spider mite

Post by Karsty »

Phew! In the end I have ordered this - https://www.greengardener.co.uk/shop/pe ... sonii.html

I spoke to the owner of the company, and he said he had been in the business for years, but had never even heard of flat mites. He thinks they are a problem only in some other countries.

My flat is always humid at this time of year, always pretty much about 75%.

Spraying these plants would be so awkward and messy, that's why I've opted for the predators.....
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Flat mites or false spider mites are Brevipalpus sp and are widespread as a glasshouse pest, often unrecognised or damage misidentified as red spider mite (tetranychus ). Brevipalpus don’t spin webs, tend to colonise low down the plant, and like humidity. They are considerably smaller than tetranychus and thus easily overlooked. The one which is found on cacti is B. Russulus, the common one on orchids is B. Oncidii

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Has anyone had any experience using Neudorff Pyrol as the concentrate? The active ingredient here is ‘pyrethrins’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Karsty
Registered Guest

Post by Karsty »

Hi Folks,

After 10 weeks I still have a few lurking Brevipalpuses. So I guess the Ambyselius are not eating them. So I have just ordered this.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVID-0-15EC- ... fresh=true

Have I done right or wrong?

Mike, how are you doing with your mites problem?

Karsty.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Abamectin (=Avermectin) is a fungal metabolite that was originally developed for treatment of intestinal worms (verm refers to worm as in vermicelli). However it is now frequently used in the horticultural world as a treatment for mite and thrips infestations. A few years ago, one of the aerosol preparations available to the amateur did contain avermectin as well as an insecticide but this has now disappeared from the market and I don't think that avermectin is currently licenced for amateur use. Ebay vendors of course do not worry about such niceties. However, as long as you follow the instructions, there is a good chance that it will do the trick for you.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I will not discuss the legal issues, but please please please read the safety data sheet. It's not the nicest stuff. Use carefully and with full understanding.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Westland Plant Rescue Bug Killer - also sold at times under various other names - was a mix of Thiamethoxam and Abamectin (hey, why not mix together poisons designed to kill entirely different pests and see what happens?). Thiamethoxam is one of the neonicotinoids that was withdrawn for most uses and this product is no longer available in the UK.

No products containing Abamectin are registered for amateur use in the UK, hence rip-off prices such as on eBay. Abamectin is still widely available in several European companies, for example as sold under the Compo brand, so it isn't hard to buy. Because of its pseudo-systemic action and toxicity to mites, it is very effective against flat mites.
Cheshire, UK
Karsty
Registered Guest

Post by Karsty »

Thanks Folks,

I don't want to do this by halves.

Do you think I should combine it with this -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TetraSan-5-W ... 3641.l6368

It apparently kills all stages of like except the adults, and it's also translaminar........
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

When it comes to red spider mite it's no holds barred as far as I'm concerned. I bought Avid and Floramite from the US a year ago. I had intended to alternate the two, but it turns out I only needed Floramite. No mites left standing after two treatments.
sechjoh
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by sechjoh »

Seems to be expensive to me :???:
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM