Systemic insecticide for red spider mite

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Systemic insecticide for red spider mite

Post by iann »

FaeLLe wrote:
Tony R wrote: None of the above give approval for domestic (garden) use. Movento is not approved for use by amateurs in the UK.

Movento is only approved in the UK for agricultural use on crops of broccoli/calabrese, brussels sprout, cabbage, cauliflower, collard, kale, lettuce and (through the minor uses notice above) hops.

All this is made clear in the HSE Pesticide databases.

It appears only Italy has approved its amateur use, which is why Bayer only market it in that country!
Oops, what does minor uses approval in UK stand for...
It means "not for plebs" ;) A good working assumption is that there are no pesticides that you're legally allowed to buy or even own in the UK (any rare exception you come across at Wilkos might just be a hallucination). Certainly no new ones, not that Movento is especially new (2010?). All these approvals that you're reading about and assuming apply to you, only apply to professionals growing specific crops under specific circumstances. You won't find this stuff in B&Q.
Cheshire, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

From what I gather it is often just a case of the firms stumping up the money to get approval in individual countries. For instance using soap suds on your beans to kill aphids is not an approved insecticide, so technically illegal. You can feed flowers of sulphur to a horse, but no longer use it on plants, or neem oil on your baby's head for nits, but not on your plants.

If manufacturers don't consider it worthwhile for sales to pay for approval in individual countries they are not approved, even if it is permitted in other similar countries. We really need a worldwide approval system so once approved it applies to all countries in the world, therefore does not come down to a money making scheme for individual governments. You would have thought any permission would have been EU wide, so if approved in Italy it would be OK for the rest of the EU?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Karsty
Registered Guest
Branch: LUTON

Post by Karsty »

Please forgive my ineptitude... I am a professional gardener and I have been growing all sorts of plants for a good 40 years, but I have had a very busy week and am a bit woozy!.... Are we saying thiacloprid might be ok to use against flat mites? I mean, in this case it is in an isolated spot indoors..... Or is it a complete waste of time?

I have to prevent a spread of them pretty sharpish....

Many thanks for any extra help or clarification!!!

Karsty
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Karsty wrote:Please forgive my ineptitude... I am a professional gardener and I have been growing all sorts of plants for a good 40 years, but I have had a very busy week and am a bit woozy!.... Are we saying thiacloprid might be ok to use against flat mites? I mean, in this case it is in an isolated spot indoors..... Or is it a complete waste of time?

I have to prevent a spread of them pretty sharpish....

Many thanks for any extra help or clarification!!!

Karsty
You can try Thiacloprid, but if its an isolated outbreak (really, look very closely!) then you should be able to nuke it fairly easily without experimenting. Soap sprays or alcohol, repeated at regular intervals over a few months will be as effective as any systemic. You can always use Thiacloprid as well at some point.

The trouble with mites, and especially flat mites, is that you won't know you have them until it is too late, then they won't come back until just after you relax and stop looking for them every other day.
Cheshire, UK
BryanW
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BryanW »

As an indoor grower I have frequented a few hydropnics shops looking for a mealy bug killer recently and they stock many different mite control sprays and solutions.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Karsty
Registered Guest

Post by Karsty »

Does anybody trust biological controls for this, like Phytoseiulus or Amblyseius ?
BryanW
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BryanW »

Karsty wrote:Does anybody trust biological controls for this, like Phytoseiulus or Amblyseius ?
I've read good things about them but you have to use them under the right conditions or they perish before they get the job done.
Found this info for you
https://greenmethods.com/persimilis/
https://ladybirdplantcare.co.uk/amblyseius.html
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Karsty
Registered Guest

Post by Karsty »

Thank you iann and Bryan,

I'd rather use the biological control if I can. The plants would be really awkward to spray, they're on a little chest of drawers and also I'd have to protect the walls and floor.

I can't get anything on the first link Bryann, but I'll give the second link a ring to see what they recommend...

Many thanks again!

Karsty.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Systemic insecticide for red spider mite

Post by Ali Baba »

Hi Karsty
Sorry to tell you but the predatory mites commonly available (Phytoseiulus persimilis) don’t eat flat mites ( if you mean brevipalpus). Apparently Amblyseius cucumerus will eat brevipalpus, but the predators require humid warm shady conditions to be effective (the blurb in the link suggests not, but I have emailed a different supplier of Amblyseius re thrips control who confirmed they work best in high humidity). I think any use of predatory mites is likely to just keep the numbers down and you will probably have to repeat treatments to keep predator numbers up.
Sprays based on plant oils work very effectively but only on contact, so you have to spray very thoroughly at least twice with a gap to allow eggs to hatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I would take the plants off the chest of drawers and give them a spray with SB Plant Invigorator. It only kills the adult mites so you might have to treat again in about two weeks time. SB is not a chemical control and is harmless to us, so OK to use in the house. I am not aware of a specific chemical miticide that is available to the amateur.