My (non-flowering) Echinocerei

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Wilk
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: My (non-flowering) Echinocerei

Post by Wilk »

My next offering is E. Acifer :

I looked at this plant closely tonight and realised how similar it is to Boyce-Thompsonii and yet it is said to be a variety of Polyacanthus to which it appears to have limited resemblance ( my plant at least). The plant in the photo is approaching 3 inches in height and the stem is quite sturdy. One difference to my B-T is that it has developed a pup earlier this year. I hope for flowers shortly.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

Two that are not large enough to flower yet. Firstly E. nicholii. It had some issues at the time I took the picture but the marking is now about 1 inch down the sides of the plant as it has grown very well.

E. Salm-Dyckianus

At the beginning of the year this plant was horrible with 3 small heads one of which was somewhat shrivelled. I cut it off and gave it TLC and it has grown really well though it still looks short of flowering size.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Wilk wrote:Image

At the beginning of the year this plant was horrible with 3 small heads one of which was somewhat shrivelled. I cut it off and gave it TLC and it has grown really well though it still looks short of flowering size.
My salm-dyckianus has flowered for the past two years. The parent plant looks quite unsightly but the flowers have come from the top of the parent. There are several offsets which put on some growth each year. The parent doesn't seem to have grown at all over the past two summers. This seems to be a very low growing and clumping species.
Echinocereus salm-dyckianus flower 11 June 2013 (2).JPG
Echinocereus salm-dyckianus flower 11 June 2013 (1).JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Some of the problem Wilk may be you are growing the types that flower later in life when larger. Try the E. knippelianus, pulchellus types.

Flowering in the 2" (5cm) square pots they were sown in about two and a half years from seed, and my seedlings grow slower than many seed raisers:-
seedlings.jpg
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

It's like offering me a mini when I want to drive a Porsche , Dave. Not as nice IMO.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

It you grow Carnegia's they take longer to flower than Rebutia's Wilk. The larger the plants eventually grow the larger they usually have to be to flower!

Looking at the species you grow they are of the coarser larger bushy type and comparatively babies yet so should flower in a year or so's time, even if many people can flower them younger. I would not regard those coarser spined Echinocereus types you show as "Porsche's'", more the "Land Rovers" or SUV's" of the Echinocereus clan.

The "Rolls Royce's" and "Ferrari's" are probably the pectinate spined group:-

E. pamanesiorum
Echinocereus-palmenesiorum.jpg
E. reichenbachii pailanus
Echinocereus-reichenbachii-.jpg
E. rigidissimus rubispinus
rubispinus.jpg
rubispinus.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

A few greengrocers' apostrophes in there, Dave.

Here is my E. Pamanesiorum. If that's a Ferrari I'm a Dutchman

It was so brown and soft last Autumn that I was almost convinced it had rotted inside and that I should cut it off near the base. I resisted the urge and it flowered , not for the first time, and has since thrown out several pups , another 2 since I took the picture. A very different plant to yours and even ignoring the RSM not very attractive. Give me spines any day.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Wilk wrote:A few greengrocers' apostrophes in there, Dave.
Nicely put, Wilk. :wink:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

I always did stick apostrophes in at random just to show willing Wilk, must be a grocer at heart! :grin: Evidently we are starting to dump them as a relic of the past anyway as the Americans have done:-

http://www.turnerink.co.uk/grammar-tips ... ace-names/

http://www.salon.com/2002/12/17/apostrophe/

Seems like use of the apostrophe is dying out as more of the world now follows US English than UK, including our own younger generations? Evidently even in English the correct use of the apostrophe changed over the centauries as what was originally misuse eventually became the norm for modern scholars of English, or are they all in fact guilty of still misusing it themselves?

"But, contrary to what defenders of the apostrophe imagine, its status has long been moot. Before the seventeenth century the apostrophe was rare. The Parisian printer Geoffroy Tory promoted it in the 1520s, and it first appeared in an English text in 1559.

Initially the apostrophe was used to signify the omission of a sound. Gradually it came to signify possession. This possessive use was at first confined to the singular. However, writers were inconsistent in their placing of the punctuation mark, and in the eighteenth century, as print culture burgeoned, everything went haywire. Although it seemed natural to use an apostrophe in the possessive plural, authorities, such as the grammarian Robert Lowth, argued against this. In a volume entitled "Grammatical Institutes" (1760), John Ash went so far as to say that the possessive apostrophe "seems to have been introduced by mistake."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/henry-hit ... 29337.html

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html? ... 28&k=39412

"As the digital age increasingly dominates business growth and success, the death of the apostrophe could, alas, become inevitable. That's because it messes up hashtags and catchy URLs."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... iness.html.

Texting has already altered spelling for the younger generation and even many of the older generation who know better, therefore the language will inevitably alter to suit the convenience of the user and its manner of transmission. How many now use apostrophes anywhere in a word when texting?

Therefore we have two opinions on language. The first is the academic pedant who believes it should be as it was always intended. If so then as John Ash in 1760 indicates an apostrophe should only indicate a missing sound and all other uses of it are incorrect. An error which University lecturers and teachers, who are usually pedants, have been passing on to their students for hundreds of years!

We have the example with plant descriptions in that if you wish to be certain what a species Lemaire described was you have to go back to it's original description to find out, not simply refer to some later text like Britton & Rose and assume that to be correct. Therefore teachers, or their students wishing to be pedantic should not rely on often erroneous text books written long after the apostrophe was first used, but refer back to the first recorded usage.

The second group are the persons who believes languages move on and evolve. If that is so then yesterdays usage of the apostrophe you were taught by your teachers can be no more correct than that being used today, grocers apostrophe included. Neither can modern text books be correct since they are simply mirroring how the apostrophe evolved from misusing it from solely indicating a missing sound in the past, but not indicating how it is now evolving or even being scrapped. :lol:

Languages are the possession of those speaking them, not the academics since they are constantly evolving and the academics in a generation or two will be teaching todays supposedly misuse as the correct usage, as past history shows us. I am afraid teachers just teach what they were taught, not what is necessarily correct, after all they taught the earth was flat at one time and the sun revolved around the earth!
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mal H »

eh Dave?????

Anyway Wilk, here is my engelmannii flowering for the first time this year. It is 11 years old from seed.
I have quite a few echinocerei that have yet to flower which are a good size and others that flower infrequently. The E. parkeri just behind and left flowered last three years ago....
image.jpg
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.