My (non-flowering) Echinocerei

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Wilk
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: My (non-flowering) Echinocerei

Post by Wilk »

Lovely flower Mal , well worth the wait. What are the two just to the front , left and right? Is the right hand one Delaetii?

My next offering is :

If I remember correctly this is E. Arizonicus v. Matudae. Not the best depth of field but you can see the two offsets and in between two more have now appeared. The main stem is about 2.5 inches and I was hoping for a flower this year but not to be.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

its funny or its not but i have had the same experience with the echinocereus family. many years ago
i had sown many echinocereus. mostly the ones with yellow or orange flowers because they are unusual.
and iam still waiting for them to flower. but, one flowered this year. they are good looking plants i cant
think of any reason why they havent flowered. maybe i havent talked to them enough.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

What part of the globe do you hail from Bob? All I can suggest is doing something different. Maybe cooler in the winter if possible to shock them into flowering. You didn't say what species you finally got to flower. I'm curious to know.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

in the wonderful middle east, israel. its a very exciting place to live its never boring. i dont remember which species.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

Slightly more boring than living in the Middle East is my next offering E. triglochidiatus.

This plant is about 2 inches tall and has a thick stem which has grown very little this year but has thrown out about 8 pups. I am assuming the main stem will not get much taller and that the growth will be from the offsets. At the moment it's a rather boring plant but I hope that one fine day it will have some lovely flowers.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

A new year and little sign of buds on most of the ones I am keen to see buds on. I posted a picture of my E. Polyacanthus on the first page of this thread. Shortly afterwards the middle stem began to go brown, the root system seemed to deteriorate and it got an attack of mealy-bug. I sprayed it, repotted it and stuffed it under the bench and forgot about it thinking it might be dead by spring and , hey presto:

Sorry about the focus.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

i have had this problem with not flowering. many years ago i germinated all the echin. that have yellow- orange and red flowers. no flowers after approx. five to six years iam now getting some flowers. its a long time to wait, but
they are very nice.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I don't think 4-5 years is a long time for a most Echinocereus species to go from seed to flower. The E. viridiflorus group is quicker. Then there are the just plain difficult species: does anyone have an E. brandegeei that flowers reliably, no matter how old?
Cheshire, UK
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Not yet Ian, the plants of E. brandegeei I have are only 3 years old, will need top shelf treatment, very bright light and heat to flower coming from Baja California, at the moment just trying to keep them alive in winter and grow them on in summer, as I am down to 3 plants from the 5, I grew from seed.

Wilk. under the bench is as good a place as any for a plant to recover, it gets the correct amount of neglect :lol:

Ray
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

Here it is at last. Having had this plant for well over 10 years I am sure it picked the day before I was going on a week's holiday to open its first flower which was finished by the time I got back! Nevertheless worth the wait.