My (non-flowering) Echinocerei

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Wilk
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

My (non-flowering) Echinocerei

Post by Wilk »

My interest in this genus stems from a friendship with the late Alf Ward of Scarborough whose name features frequently in Nigel Taylor's book on the genus. In recent years I have acquired a few plants but so far they have proven fairly shy to flower. Maybe a few of them are not yet mature enough and I am being impatient. I thought I would post a few pictures and hopefully other members can comment on aspects such as flowering size and optimum growing conditions. Most of mine get down to about freezing point in the winter months and it seems to do them no harm.

Here's the first : Engelmanii v. Boyce-Thompsonii

It's about 4 inches tall now and ostensibly healthy. Plenty of strong spines but no flowers yet. I have just re-potted it into a slightly larger pot since the photo was taken.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: My (non-flowering) Echinocerei

Post by rodsmith »

I had an engelmanii years ago that I grew from seed. It was kept in a lean-to greenhouse where the temperature dropped close to freezing in the winter but it never flowered for me in over 15 years (reaching a height of nearly 12 inches). My subsequent experience in flowering other Echinocereus species has been good, so perhaps engelmanii is difficult to flower. No doubt someone will tell us. :wink:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

I am depressed now Rod. 12 inches and it hadn't flowered! Let's move on. Here is the most frustrating one of all. It is one of 4 plants of E. Koehresianus that I have. The original was a single plant which got rot so I took some cuttings and ended up with 4 plants. This one is the biggest and is in a 5 inch pot. Every year I hope for just one flower and nothing. I see pictures of fairly small plants which are flowering but nothing from mine. Why?

Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

The last one is obviously not a commonly grown species. Here's my next offering - E. Arizonicus subs matudae a.k.a
E. Coccineus .

The plant is between 2 and 3 inches high and in the last year has started to throw out healthy looking pups. A third one is just emerging between the other 2. I hope that the fact that the plant is producing pups would suggest the main stem is not going to get that much larger and thus that it is flowering size , but am I right? No sign of flowers this year.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

My coccineus is just over 3 inches tall and has flowered for the past two years. It has three offsets.
Echinocereus coccineus flowers 17 May 2014.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

Lovely plant Rod. Not much difference to mine size wise so I live in hope. The flowers are much pinker than I was expecting but it seems to be a pretty variable species in terms of flower colour.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Rod; beautiful plant and photo.

Wilk; most echinocereus flower year after year once they have flowered, ( its waiting for that first year )

Ray
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote:Rod; beautiful plant and photo.
Thanks for the compliment, Ray.
Rod Smith

BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Wilk wrote: Every year I hope for just one flower and nothing. I see pictures of fairly small plants which are flowering but nothing from mine. Why?
Hi, I am just wondering what your minimum winter temperature is and if your plant is receiving direct sunlight in the winter and early spring time.

Some Echinocereus need a winter chill to stimulate flowering. Good light at that time will keep the plant healthy and probably get things stirring early.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

My plants get down very close to freezing point in the winter. If anything I could do with a bit more light. In mid summer the GH gets sun from about 9 to 5 and obviously less so during winter. Enough sun for most species to flower but perhaps not for some echinocerei??

Here's the next one E. Polyacanthus. I have had this plant for years and years and neglected it badly to the extent that it was once scarred all over by RSM. As you can see it still bears a few marks but it is growing pretty well now but still not a sign of flowers. The tallest stem is probably about 3.5 - 4 inches tall.