Duripulpa and friend

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Duripulpa and friend

Post by iann »

Some fairly typical E. duripulpa seedlings, plus one that isn't typical. Doesn't remind me of any other species though, so maybe just a bit weird.
duripulpa-0822.jpg
Last edited by iann on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Duripupla and friend

Post by rodsmith »

There is quite a bit of variety throughout the seedlings but one has gone to extremes.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by JaneO »

Definitely an interloper!
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well it's different looking for sure, but it still looks like a Thelocephala of some kind. :smile: Maybe it is duripulpa, but a super-fat seedling? My other thoughts are perhaps something more in the region of aerocarpa, but I'm not sure. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Duripulpa and friend

Post by Julie »

Cuckoo seedling!

He is still very sweet, even though he is not what it says on the tin. Are they your own seed Ian?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Maybe just a precocious seedling that has assumed the adult form before the other seedlings? Wait and see if the others look like that as they mature.

They don't look quite so woolly in habitat:-

http://cactushabitat.com/Chile/AtacamaR ... ulpa2.html
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Did you work out what had happened here? I've come to repot these (below) and finally got round to investigating what the other thing was. I'd assumed that I'd spilled seed and it was only after I'd dug out my 'seedling map' - the piece of paper that tells me what I've sown in which cell - that I've realised it isn't any of the other Eriosyce that were sown in that tray. In the course of checking the forum for good images of Eriosyce seedlings I found this thread...
IMG_3008.JPG
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I'm none the wiser today. It seems very much like an extremely fat and short E. duripulpa.
Cheshire, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

A lot of seedlings can be dimorphic, looking very different as they age and gain their adult characteristics. Some are just more precocious than the others. Turbinicarpus krainzianus ssp. minimus for instance.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.