Sunshine (lack of)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Sunshine (lack of)

Post by TS Hakansson »

I´m sure the wheather on the British Isles have been about the same as here in Sweden so it´s no wonder one is feeling a bit gloomy. In Stockholm we have had five (5!) hours of sunshine during all of november! Haven´t been as few hours of sunshine since the recordings started back in 1908.....Not much rain though and temps between -1C and +9C , so not all bad, but one (and the plants)is missing the sun. :sad:
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sunshine (lack of)

Post by Aiko »

In the Netherlands we had quite a sunny November, and very moderate temperatures. But the last few days. On the whole the weather this year was nice; relatively a lot of sun, no extraordinary cold days and nights in winter, no scorching warm days but a few in summer. I don't mind it being like this every year.
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Having recently returned from working in South Africa, "sunny" Sussex has been mostly gloomy during the past few weeks. Yesterday and today have been especially so. :sad:
"Avoidance doesn't work"
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

TS Hakansson wrote:sunshine
I do wish people would explain these strange words when they post. :wink: This isn't something we get in the UK is it?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
graham
BCSS Member

Post by graham »

Just to illustrate the variations on this small island - here in the west (inland from Carmarthen) the past two to three weeks have been somewhat sunny. I would estimate that 50% of the days have had really bright sun, today for example after some early morning high cloud, from midday on it was really bright and, of course, without much wind it means a rather chilly night, almost certainly below zero as I type. Several days have been so hot that I've had to partly open the polytunnel door - otherwise it would have reached the high 20s or 30 and my winter growing plants have needed quite a bit of water, well relatively speaking.

And, dare I say it, rather dry for this time of year. We had quite a lot of rain a month ago but not very much in the past few weeks - actually it was a little like this in '13, and then it did rain a little later on.

graham
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Graham ; here in North West England it has been much the same as you describe with good day temps. in the greenhouse.

Ian S ; if you have come back from the bright clear light of South Africa anywhere in UK will seem dull. :roll:

Mike T ; behave yourself it is Sheffield :lol:

Ray
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Im not sure we have had 5 hours of sunshine in the last two months in our part of Lincolnshire though!
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
geoffswann
Registered Guest

Post by geoffswann »

In the West Midlands when the sun shines we cannot see it. All that smoke and pollution from the steel works, Oh! I forgot, they closed them in the 1960s:-)

Geoff
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi, my green house this time of the year, sees the sun only in the top 18 inches of the roof. Today temps. At bench level was 7C. I have some ario carpus plants on high shelf at this high level. On checking these plants the plastic pots were more than warm to the touch.the differance between the 2 levels was amazing. Cheers
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

here on the Côte d'Azur it's the same weather :rain... rain.....rain (more than 500 mm in 1 month ) and sometimes few hours of sun :cry: