Aloe, Aloe, Aloe

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Aloe, Aloe, Aloe

Post by Liz M »

A few Aloe flowers from this autumn. They were surprisingly late and numerous.
IMG_4045.1.jpg
Aloe bellatula albiflora
IMG_3332.10001.jpg
Aloe 'Eunice'
IMG_3335.1.jpg
Aloe bakeri
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Aloe, Aloe, Aloe

Post by Stuart »

Lovely photos, is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with botrytis or similar mould on Aloe flowers at this time of year. They're fine when in bud and open but just as they're starting to fade the flowers turn into a mass of mould which is just waiting to be carried around the greenhouse by the heater fans.

Stuart
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

If everything is fairly dry you should not have botrytis problems. I open the doors of my greenhouse everyday in winter, providing it is sunny, not seriously freezing, not howling a gale or torrential rain. That helps keep botrytis and similar nasties away. Ventilation is what you need.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Liz ,

Nice display.
I have Aloe miniatures in flower and bud now.
When my Aloe hybridising was at its most fervent and my Aloes at their best (between 2005/2008) I had Aloes in flower 365 days of the year. The biggest flush is usually in September and October and mostly the Malagasy species and their hybrids (as your photos demonstrate :wink:) .

I notice the labelling of your first photo...' Aloe bellatula albiflora ' ....any reason why its not just Aloe albiflora?
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I agree with Liz m. I had a tip off expert grower R Giesler, and removed my bubble wrap, and dropped the Temps. In the glass house. This combined with opening the doors on suitable days prevented a black mould on my Astros. Worked well last Winter. Cheers
EcheVeria
BCSS Member

Post by EcheVeria »

Lovely. Is the cold needed to trigger the flowers? Will they flower if kept indoors?
Christine
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

EcheVeria wrote:Lovely. Is the cold needed to trigger the flowers? Will they flower if kept indoors?
Christine
Cold is not the trigger for flowering in Aloes, but, perhaps a drop in temperature will play a part. Light levels, day length and moisture are important factors.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
EcheVeria
BCSS Member

Post by EcheVeria »

Thanks Brian. A bit like my Jade plant then. Its just coming into Bloom now.
I have one very small Aloe so I might have to wait a few years.