Identification of some cacti

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AdamL
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Identification of some cacti

Post by AdamL »

Hello, everybody!

I shall soon be growing some cacti from seed, but for now I have four individually-potted cacti which I have purchased from different garden-centres. However, none of these cacti were labelled with their species or genus, and I would quite like to know what they are. Therefore, I would appreciate it if anyone could identify the following cacti to any extent.

Cactus_1.JPG
Cactus_1.JPG (250.75 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Cactus_2.JPG
Cactus_2.JPG (208.69 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
The following cactus has pink flowers, and it flowers biannually... is that normal?
The flowers always appear somewhere in the circle at the top of the cactus where the two which are in the picture are.
Cactus_3.JPG
Cactus_3.JPG (185.87 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Cactus_4.JPG
Cactus_4.JPG (205.21 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Thank you in advance for any help which you are able to give to me. :smile:
~ AdamL
A GCSE-student living near to Cambridge, UK. A succulent-fan interested in a range of succulents in general, but particularly cacti and, increasingly, lithops.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Identification of some cacti

Post by Phil_SK »

1 is Mammillaria elongata
2 is a monstrose form of a cereus, Cereus hildmannianus, probably.
3 is Mammillaria hahniana
4 looks to be Gymnocalycium monvillei
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
AdamL

Post by AdamL »

Phil_SK wrote:1 is Mammillaria elongata
2 is a monstrose form of a cereus, Cereus hildmannianus, probably.
3 is Mammillaria hahniana
4 looks to be Gymnocalycium monvillei
Thank you very much, Phil. :smile:
~ AdamL
A GCSE-student living near to Cambridge, UK. A succulent-fan interested in a range of succulents in general, but particularly cacti and, increasingly, lithops.
iann
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

biannually... is that normal?
I'm not sure quite what times you are seeing this flower. Typically this species flowers in winter, but in the UK that is often disrupted by lack of light, or from the plant being kept dry. Mine sometimes sneak out a few flowers in autumn before they dry out (mine live in an unheated greenhouse), but the main flowering happens when I start watering again in spring.

P.S. So I looked at the plant carefully and I'm not convinced that it is M. hahniana. It is too woolly, the central spines are too long, and the flowers are too pale.
Last edited by iann on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire, UK
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

1. Mammillaria elongata f. echinaria
2. Cereus peruvianus f.monstrosus ( fairy castles )
3. Mammillaria hahniana ( or pettersonii )
4. Ferocactus sp. or Thelocactus sp. just to young to tell which .

Ray
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
AdamL

Post by AdamL »

iann wrote:
biannually... is that normal?
I'm not sure quite what times you are seeing this flower. Typically this species flowers in winter, but in the UK that is often disrupted by lack of light, or from the plant being kept dry. Mine sometimes sneak out a few flowers in autumn before they dry out (mine live in an unheated greenhouse), but the main flowering happens when I start watering again in spring.
Thanks, Ian! Mine starts flowering in mid-December, finishing around mid-February, and then flowers again throughout the late spring and most of the summer (from around late May to early August).
~ AdamL
AdamL

Post by AdamL »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote:1. Mammillaria elongata f. echinaria
2. Cereus peruvianus f.monstrosus ( fairy castles )
3. Mammillaria hahniana ( or pettersonii )
4. Ferocactus sp. or Thelocactus sp. just to young to tell which .

Ray
Wow! Thanks a lot, Ray! :grin:
~ AdamL
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

iann wrote:...I looked at the plant carefully and I'm not convinced that it is M. hahniana. It is too woolly, the central spines are too long, and the flowers are too pale.
My thoughts exactly, Ian. M. hahniana can have variable amounts of wool but this specimen seems to be much too wooly; and I agree that the spines are too long. I've had a specimen for 40 years (from seed) and it has always bloomed in May and the flowers are always in a circle near the top of the plant; only rarely has there been less than a full circle. However, what species this one is, I've no idea.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I bow to your greater knowledge. I should know better than to try to identify all but the most distinctive mamms as I grow so few.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
AdamL

Post by AdamL »

rodsmith wrote:
iann wrote:...I looked at the plant carefully and I'm not convinced that it is M. hahniana. It is too woolly, the central spines are too long, and the flowers are too pale.
My thoughts exactly, Ian. M. hahniana can have variable amounts of wool but this specimen seems to be much too wooly; and I agree that the spines are too long. I've had a specimen for 40 years (from seed) and it has always bloomed in May and the flowers are always in a circle near the top of the plant; only rarely has there been less than a full circle. However, what species this one is, I've no idea.
Thank you very much, Rod! :smile:
~ AdamL