Dr. Bill Maddams RIP  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Dr. Bill Maddams RIP

Post by Terry S. »

I am saddened to have to let you all know that the Vice President of our Society, Dr. Bill Maddams, died this morning. Over a period of more than 60 years, he had been an enthusiast of the genus Mammillaria and did much work for the Mammillaria Society, the Cactus & Succulent Society of Great Britain and the BCSS, being the current Chair of the Conservation Committee. At the local level, he had been Secretary of the North Surrey Branch since its inception and I last saw him last Wednesday to collect items for the Branch meeting because he did not feel well enough to attend, a very rare occurrence. I have no further details at the present time - Terry Smale.
John E
Registered Guest

Dr W.F.Maddams

Post by John E »

A huge shock to hear that Dr Bill Maddams passed away this morning.
John E
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Dr W.F.Maddams

Post by Herts Mike »

I am so sorry. He was one of the first people to take interest in me as a teenage collector at the old BCSS London branch. I was in awe of him.

RIP.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dr. Bill Maddams

Post by Tony R »

What terribly sad news at the start of the year. It was Bill and his writings that first got me interested in mammillarias at the beginning of my hobby. Sincere condolences to all concerned.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

It is very sad news indeed. I've known Bill for a number of years, and was encouraged and enthused by his energy and determination. His contribution to our hobby is immense, both through the BCSS and the Mammillaria Society. He will be sorely missed.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

Very sad news indeed. I have known Bill for around 50 years and served part of my time as Treasurer with him as Chairman. He was a person we all respected for his depth of knowledge and commitment to the hobby even if we struggled to understand some of the complexities of his dealings with DEFRA and other government organisations in the furtherance of conservation.
The Society and the hobby world wide will be a poorer place without him.

David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Indeed, very sad news.
My condolences to friends and family.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: Dr. Bill Maddams  Solved

Post by Al Laius »

I was shocked and saddened by this news when I heard it earlier today. Bill was a true scholar and a gentleman.
Condolences to the family.

Al
Bill
Branch: None

Re: Dr. Bill Maddams RIP

Post by Bill »

Very sad news, the society will the poorer for his passing.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Re: Dr. Bill Maddams RIP

Post by delandmo »

Maureen and I are very shocked and saddened by the passing of Bill and our hearts go out to his wife and family.

Bill, like many have said before, was passionate about the genus Mammillaria, and extremely knowledgeable on all types of cacti as well. It was Bill and Betty's greenhouses that I was fortunate enough to visit on many occasions when i started growing cacti back in the early 70s and I was always in awe of Bill's magnificent collection of mammillarias. I always turned to Bill for advice regarding the genus and was in correspondence with him up until recently. Sadly I was still awaiting a reply from him on his views of a particular plant. It seems ironical now, but in recent years Bill could never manage to attend our clubs Christmas dinners because the date clashed with his reunion dinners with his pals at BP. This Christmas the dates for some reason didn't clash and Maureen and I were able to pick him up in our car and take him there. His last meeting with his fellow club members. Farewell Bill.