Online Journal - Acta Succulenta new issue now available

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Online Journal - Acta Succulenta new issue now available

Post by Al Laius »

The latest issue of the free online journal - Acta Succulenta is now available for download:

http://acta-succulenta.eu/dwn/en/ActaSu ... 015_EN.pdf

That is for the English version. It is also available in French and Italian - see this page for download details:
http://acta-succulenta.eu/index.php?pg=dwn&mnu=m1_en and all the previous issues can be downloaded from this page too.

Al
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Online Journal - Acta Succulenta new issue now available

Post by cactuspip »

After a few attempts I got it to download. A good read and full of photographs, as usual.

I would draw to people's attention a very interesting article about carpobrotus edulis. Yet another example of "I didn't realise it would grow like that!"
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Whilst the earlier issues download OK, the last two English issues download just locks up on my computer?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I couldn't get no 2 to download and haven't bothered with them since
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

They all downloaded perfectly for me (Windows 8.1 Firefox 35.0.1).

But I've only just had chance to read some of the articles today.
The first article is a must - an excellent travelogue on his Kenyan trip by our own Cactus World editor, Al Laius - thanks and well done Al - quite superb.

(Note the footers of the pages erroneously say 2014, not 2015. At least in the Eng version that I downloaded.)
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Latest edition works on my Windows Vista pc with Adobe Reader XI but my fire tablet says it is not a valid pdf document so will not download via the adobe reader - it will download via the browser but the reader will not open the file (on selecting download the browser gives option continue action with reader or browser).
Last edited by Jim_Mercer on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiebe
BCSS Member

Post by Wiebe »

Not been able to download this volume either. The others were no problem.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I used their contact facility and emailed the Webmaster a few days ago saying I could not download but got no answer, and when I tried to download the last two issues yesterday again no luck.

I am using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Just tried it on my laptop running Windows 8. Using chrome the file opened without any problems but trying to download via Internet Explorer 11 the down load seemed to stop after a few mb, on pressing f5 I got this message...
Capture_download error.JPG
Capture_download error.JPG (21.41 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
It would appear there is a problem with the file but some combinations of browser/adobe reader are more tolerant than others :???:

As I can open the file downloaded via Chrome on my laptop I tried by-passing Adobe Reader while downloading via Internet Explorer by right clicking on the link and using the "save target as" option. The resulting file has opened with no problem :smile:
graham
BCSS Member

Post by graham »

For what it's worth I just downloaded successfully using Opera on linux (Xubuntu 14.04) and it opened correctly using the default Document Viewer (i.e. not Adobe).

I must admit that PDF does get irritating insofar as even now there are version dependent features that simply do not work with early version of Reader, never mind with non-Adobe software. Having said that I do use PDF (inevitably generated by Libre Office) quite a lot but recently have wondered about the possibilities for using HTML5 for documents - it might by more 'standard'.

Of course downloading is a different issue - on linux there is always the separate wget program - i.e. part of standard linux not the browser; I'm sure that there must be similar browser independent download managers for Windows (there used to be) which may be worthwhile using if you do get a lot of downloading problems.

graham