Moss

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JoelR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Moss

Post by JoelR »

My last three attempts at growing Cacti from seed have been affected by the growth of moss in the pots. I've always previously microwaved the sowing mixture ( 2 parts sieved JI no. 2, 1 part seramis) in a large bowl but this time opted for filling the BEF pots, watering and then microwaving each pot for 2 mins. 30 secs hoping this might prevent moss. The pots were allowed to cool before surface sowing the seed and enclosing the pots in zip lock bags. I have a propagator in my garage with a soil warming cable and a 125w CFL light. This has worked fine in the past with varying success but the severe and consistent moss problem is recent. After 3 weeks most of the soil surface is covered in moss which engulf and kills some or all of the seedlings. I've resorted removing some pots from the bags and will mist daily to try and save the few seedlings that have germinated. Not sure where I'm going wrong.
Joel
West Yorks
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Moss

Post by iann »

Moss or algae? Either way, if it is a problem in 3 weeks then your sterilisation is inadequate. Either go back to your bowl method or sterilise individual pots for longer. I find it helpful to microwave more than one pot at a time since it is a fine line between melting a single pot and failing to get it hot enough.
Cheshire, UK
JoelR
BCSS Member

Post by JoelR »

How long would you microwave for Ian? I was slightly concerned the pots would melt! Could be moss and algae but it matures into moss.
Joel
West Yorks
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

When I've microwaved BEF square pots I added water into the dish containing the pots. Or you could just boil 'em up with water in an old saucepan :shift:
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Lindsey wrote:Or you could just boil 'em up with water in an old saucepan :shift:
I would recommend this. Assuming with 'them' you mean the soil only, not the soil with the pots.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Moss or Algae, I use the baggie method of seed raising, and luckily do not suffer a lot from this problem. If one or two bags do suffer, I cover the moss with very fine sand (missing the seeds of course) this smothers the moss and kills it. I never sterilise my soil. but always use cooled boiled water for first soaking. I leave the water slightly warm as I find this beneficial to the soil. Good luck. Eric Williams.
graham
BCSS Member

Post by graham »

Personally I can see no significant benefit in microwaving the pots, I would have thought that washing using ordinary washing-up liquid would probably suffice (obviously removing any debris from the pots first) or, if felt necessary a further wash with hydrogen peroxide or hypochlorite (bleach). Having said that all methods, microwaving or chemical treatment could damage the pots so try a sample first.
Then deal with the compost separately.' I used to use a pyrex dish covered with cling film - probably something like 1.5 or 2 litre pudding basin and for a couple of minutes, and stopping, checking for thorough heating and turning the compost if necessary. I found a couple of citations to
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/ ... terile.htm
which gives sound advice in my experience. And for simplicity note the plastic bag option.
I must admit I did tend to do it by 'feel', waiting until steam is evolved. But, or course, you must have the compost reasonably wet to start with. I suspect that In the microwave you are boiling the water and the resulting high temperature steam (well over 100 deg.) is then sterilising the material as much as the direct effects of the microwaves, I'm sure that the microwaves will also destroy most living cells by over-heating their fluids but I suspect that the steam will probably get into far more places than the microwaves.
Of course you could just use the expanded clay by itself in the plastic bagged pots, I did this a couple of years ago, oh, and watered with supermarket bottled water - but of course in the bag it was only one watering for the several months - and it worked quite well. That was Tescos cat litter straight out of the bag and there was only a little moss by the next spring in 30% of the pots.

graham
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

What many people forget who think they sterilise everything is usually the seed they sow has not been sterilised and the dried on fruit juice or remains of the pulp on the seed often contains spores that just love the conditions in a "baggie". Also when you open a "baggie" to even insert the pot spore laden air floods in and does so every time you open it again. And such spores just love the sterile conditions in the "baggie" since it eliminates their natural controls in unsterilized soil.

You can wrap the individual species seed in small twists of kitchen roll and dunk them in a Milton type disinfectant for a while, but that is only practical if you are only sowing a few packets, or if the seed is not of the dust like type.
JoelR
BCSS Member

Post by JoelR »

Thank you for all the advice. The pots were brand new and I would have thought that 2:30 minutes on full power per pot would kill anything. The water was tap water but the watering was done before the microwave.

Dave, I used to use Cheshunt Compound every time before it was banned which may have a sterilising effect on the seeds.
Joel
West Yorks
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I always stand them in boiling water which doesn't affect the seed as it has cooled sufficiently by the time it reaches them.

It must have a sterilising effect in part of the seed compost.