Cheshunt compound substitute

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cheshunt compound substitute

Post by Aiko »

IanW wrote:5 minutes in the microwave is much quicker, cheaper, and more cost efficient than using the oven too.
I don't know about this if you use an old pan and just put it on the fire for a few minutes after boiling has been reached. That is how I do this. I don't think an oven would be very effective at all.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Aiko wrote:
IanW wrote:5 minutes in the microwave is much quicker, cheaper, and more cost efficient than using the oven too.
I don't know about this if you use an old pan and just put it on the fire for a few minutes after boiling has been reached. That is how I do this. I don't think an oven would be very effective at all.
Yep, yours, Mike's and the microwave method are all really just variations on the same thing for the most part - boiling up the water in the soil and steaming it through.
SteveJones
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by SteveJones »

Herts Mike wrote:I used Cheshunt compound for years (I lived in Cheshunt!) and raised a fair number of plants but it must be 10 years now since I used it last.

I don't bother with microwaving seed compost either.

Pots are boiled out though before use and I use 50% John Innes and 50% vermiculite. I then sow the seeds but their first watering is with boiling water. Pots are stood in a bowl and boiling water poured in until it soaks through. I then leave them to drain for a couple of hours before sealing in plastic bags and putting in the propagator. I never have damping off problems and I mainly sow Stapeliads which are pretty touchy.
I know I'm coming to this discussion very late but can I ask Mike does he water the pots with boiling or boiled water (which has been left to cool) and do the seeds as well as the soil get the boiling water treatment?

Steve. :shrugs:
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Steve,

I sow the seeds, boil up a kettle, pour the boiling water into a bowl and stand the pots of seed into it to soak up.
SteveJones
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by SteveJones »

Many thanks.

Steve
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I think I read from Steve Hammer that fungicides run the risk of inhibiting germination a number of years ago. I moved to sterilised compost (baked at >82deg C for 20+ minutes) and I thought I got an improvement. Doubt I could demonstrate it quantitatively though.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bill

Post by Bill »

I use cheap microwaveable (takeaway) containers 59p for 5 for for seed raising, soil in, boiling water then in the microwave, leave to cool and add seed, lid on and leave. If any nasties do develop like fungal threads, 15ml of 6% hydrogen peroxide in 500ml of water does the job.

These Haworthia seeds were planted 8 days ago and did get infected with fungal threads (seed had been sitting around awhile) a quick spray two days ago and they are surviving nicely.
blobs.jpg
Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Bill wrote:I use cheap microwaveable (takeaway) containers 59p for 5 for for seed raising, soil in, boiling water then in the microwave, leave to cool and add seed, lid on and leave. If any nasties do develop like fungal threads, 15ml of 6% hydrogen peroxide in 500ml of water does the job.

These Haworthia seeds were planted 8 days ago and did get infected with fungal threads (seed had been sitting around awhile) a quick spray two days ago and they are surviving nicely.
blobs.jpg
Bill
Bill do you make drainage holes in the bottom in the takeaway containers?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I often use sealed microweaveable containers too. I don't make drainage holes.
For initial sowing, provided they are moderately damp, they can remain undisturbed for weeks/ months. In practise, they sometimes dry out a little if the lids don't seal perfectly, and need a little topping up with water.
Once open, they need careful watering, if they get waterlogged you will get rot/damping off. Using a transparent / translucent container is helpful, you can see when the bottom is totally dry, and water so it is just damp again.
Bill

Post by Bill »

FaeLLe wrote:
Bill wrote:I use cheap microwaveable (takeaway) containers 59p for 5 for for seed raising, soil in, boiling water then in the microwave, leave to cool and add seed, lid on and leave. If any nasties do develop like fungal threads, 15ml of 6% hydrogen peroxide in 500ml of water does the job.

Bill
Bill do you make drainage holes in the bottom in the takeaway containers?
No I use just the right amount of water, which is dependant on the growing medium.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.