Book on Cactus Species for Browsing

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dunlin
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Book on Cactus Species for Browsing

Post by Dunlin »

Dear All,

My apologies in advance if I have failed to find an existing thread on this topic.

I'm looking for a book on cacti (I'm a cactus only collector) with lots of species plus accompanying photographs - the kind of book for browsing in, in order to find new species to try growing. I'd like one which has information on where the species grow in the wild.

Can anyone recommend something which is not too expensive? I'd be very grateful. I don't like using the internet for this sort of thing - I need a good old fashioned book (with a cup of tea)!

Best wishes,

Naomi
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Book on Cactus Species for Browsing

Post by Phil_SK »

I still rate The Cactus Handbook by Erik Haustein even though it's now approaching 30 years old. Secondhand copies trade online for little more than the cost of postage. It has a good selection, covering (it claims) 490 species, nearly all illustrated with sharp, well reproduced photos (some in habitat, some in cultivation) and being 8"x6" in size is a nice change, too.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Lot of pictures in 500 Cacti by Ken Preston-Mafham - can't seem to get a link direct to the book but it is available from http://www.keithscactusbooks.co.uk/ - select Popular Titles and scroll down a bit.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

This was always one of my favourite coffee table books;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-ILLUSTRAT ... 51cc8947c6
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

Phil_SK wrote:I still rate The Cactus Handbook by Erik Haustein even though it's now approaching 30 years old.
I agree, Phil. One of the first books I acquired, shortly after its publication, at the time that I returned to the hobby.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

I would endorse the comments about Haustein. I bought a 1991 edition a short time ago on E-bay. There is one advertised now at £3.76 inc postage so you can't fall off at that price assuming you are in the Uk which I didn't check.

Another of my favourites is The Complete Encyclopedia (sic) of Cacti by Subik and Kunte which I have seen on E-bay before and won't cost an arm and a leg. It is arranged by country which I rather like despite cacti not being known as respecters of national boundaries.
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Cullman Gotz and Groner - Encyclopedia of Cacti - english edition 1986 Alpha books.
Not just coffee table pictures, but advice on cultivation and classification. Some names will have changed, they always will. But good pictures of most sorts. Have to admit I'm biased as Gerhard Groner was a friend.
Seems cheap on Amazon
Dunlin
BCSS Member

Post by Dunlin »

Great suggestions and very helpful - my sincere thanks! (tu)
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Phil_SK wrote:I still rate The Cactus Handbook by Erik Haustein even though it's now approaching 30 years old. Secondhand copies trade online for little more than the cost of postage. It has a good selection, covering (it claims) 490 species, nearly all illustrated with sharp, well reproduced photos (some in habitat, some in cultivation) and being 8"x6" in size is a nice change, too.
This was one of the first "proper" books on cacti I got. I have very fond memories of it :)

Lithos wrote:Cullman Gotz and Groner - Encyclopedia of Cacti - english edition 1986 Alpha books.
This one is also excellent and probably better than Haustein's one, at least it's more approachable and much easier to digest. I still don't think I've come across another book on cacti with better advice and information on everything from cultivation to habitats and anything in between. It's a very good book.

Purely for pictures I'd definitely recommend Cacti: The Illustrated Dictionary by Rod & Ken Preston-Mafham. Unless you're not into globular species though, as this book deals exclusively with the globular cacti as far as I remember.

Of course, there's also The New Cactus Lexicon by David Hunt et al. which used to come in two volumes (one text and one images) but it's now possible to buy a cheaper paperback version with just the pictures.
Dunlin
BCSS Member

Post by Dunlin »

Many thanks Karl! (tu)

Best wishes,

Naomi