How can I improve this

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
sue46
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Member

How can I improve this

Post by sue46 »

This is a Money Plant I think!! Never been good with succulents! The branches/stems are going everywhere and there is new growth growing on the stems. I want to tidy it up and try to get it growing more upright. Help!!
22415 001.JPG
22415 001.JPG (89.94 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: How can I improve this

Post by Peter »

Just cut off all the awkward growing branches, Sue and leave the plant - it will grow fine. Trim the sections that you've removed to a straight part and pop them into some compost. Those things root very easily.
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Hi Sue.

The plant in its current state looks stretched due to a lack of good light. I would cut it back severely, removing 90% of what is shown in your photo. A major prune every two years, back to the main trunk, eventually yields a great tree-like money plant. Don't be scared.

Iain
"Avoidance doesn't work"
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Well rescued Sue! Good luck with the pruning, it's the right time to do it. The sorry stumps will be covered in green pips in no time. It will be lovely to watch them grow into baby new shiny leaves. (tu)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
sue46
BCSS Member

Post by sue46 »

Thank you for your answers. I know these are easy to root so may well keep a few as stand-bys. RThis was my brothers years ago, and I sort of took it over when he married and moved. Kept on kitchen (west facing) window, only received sunlight during sunset, winter hardly any at all. I recently moved it to this window (south facing), full sun all day really very warm as well, over radiator.Obviously that is why it is throwing shots off the branches! I will be mean to it, they are quite forgiving I believe.
sue46
BCSS Member

Re: How can I improve this - continued

Post by sue46 »

31015 011.JPG
31015 011.JPG (79.5 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
So cut off all those branches and left two which seemed to balance it. It looked a little sad for a while, it has taken a few months, but is now regenerating itself. Hope the photo shows the new growth well, on the branches, on the main stem and loads of little plantlets in the soil.