Sowing seeds in a bag

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
IanW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sowing seeds in a bag

Post by IanW »

graham wrote:Forgive me - but I cannot see how that makes for good practice. Unless someone or something is adding to the water butt then everything in it, good and bad, came from the sky with the rain.
As Mike pointed out, whatever ends up in your water butt is not simply what has fallen from the sky, it's all the spores that only blow around at or near ground level along with everything else at that level including creatures too.

If you hold up a glass and collect rain directly from the sky, it'll be far less harmful for your seedlings than water that has been festering in a water butt for however many days or weeks. Your water butt is a breeding ground for all sorts of moulds and fungi that wont be present when collected directly from the sky.

It's fine for adult plants because they can take it, but using waterbutt water for seedlings in a baggy environment is probably one of the most effective ways of ensuring they all die, fresh rainwater much less so, and tap water or sterilised water, very often not at all.

Mike suggested looking in your waterbutt for evidence of this, here's a question to throw on top of that, would you be happy to drink rainwater fresh from the sky? I know it wouldn't bother me because the chance of harm is pretty much zero. Would you be willing to drink water from your waterbutt? I know I wouldn't because there's a remote chance if it's been in there long enough that you could ingest a fatal dose of legionella.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

hi mike. i also soak the pots in clor-bleach
jadegarden
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jadegarden »

Herts Mike wrote:For what it's worth I never sterilize the soil but I do sterilize the pots. And when I water I stand the pots in a bowl and add boiling water to soak up into the pots. I get excellent germination.
Curious and can't help asking - "boiling water" as in hot and steamy? I presume this is before sowing, or is this boiling water used to water the seedlings?
JaMaDa 876: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Yup, boiling water as in hot and steamy and after sowing. I think I got the idea years ago for germinating Haworthia seeds, possibly from Joyce Cocozza?

Just had 13 Edithcolea grandis germinate after this treatment. Mind you that's the easy part. Getting them through winter is another matter altogether.
jadegarden
BCSS Member

Post by jadegarden »

So after sowing and before germination. I will give it a try in my next batch of seeds. I usually soak through with diluted hydrogen peroxide.
JaMaDa 876: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

IanW wrote:It's not typically the rainwater that's the problem, it's where you collect it from. gathered straight from the sky it's likely to be fine, but pulled from a water butt that's likely to be a breeding ground for things that can kill cacti.

I've always just used tap water and had no problems.
Nevertheless, the spores that cause the problem also fell from the sky, and usually right along with the rainwater. Just because it takes weeks or months for them to become a significant problem inside a barrel doesn't change where they came from in the first place.

Similarly, rainwater, however fresh and clean the container you catch it in, will cause your warm humid seedling pots to sprout all sorts of nasties after a few weeks. Sterilise. Tapwater is probably better because there is much less in it that can ever grow, but still needs to be sterilised or you'll get algae eventually. Of course if you have nasty hard water then maybe tapwater isn't so great ...
Cheshire, UK
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

No I absolutely agree iann, I wasn't meaning to suggest that you should use rainwater from the sky, simply that there are gradients of harm, with waterbutt water being the most harmful, to fresh rainwater being ever so slightly less harmful, to tap water, to sterilised, or even ionised water. I wouldn't use any rainwater either!
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

Supplemental question

When do you take them out of the bags? I am seed raising for the first time and have germination after ten days.

Thanks
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Hedge wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:44 pm Supplemental question

When do you take them out of the bags? I am seed raising for the first time and have germination after ten days.

Thanks
At the end of August for me Heather, except things like Aztekium which stay in the bags for a year or more.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Hedge wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:44 pm When do you take them out of the bags? I am seed raising for the first time and have germination after ten days.
Whenever you are happy with the germination rate, expecting nothing more to germinate. And / or when algae is taking over the pots.