I.D. needed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter A
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

I.D. needed

Post by Peter A »

I bought this years ago labelled Notocactus concinnus, but I think it may be N. mammulosus. Can anybody help?
ASIP5121528.jpg
I.D . needed.jpg
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: I.D. needed

Post by JaneO »

I think Notocactus coccinus is now Parodia mammulosa? Someone will deny or confirm. Notocactus was merged back under the Parodia wing so does not exist anymore. Jane
anttisepp
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by anttisepp »

Looks like Notocactus submammulosus.
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Plenty of Notocacti still existing side by side with Parodias in my greenhouse, along with Neoporterias and a few Eriosyce. No need to change names every time some botanist comes up with a new theory.
Stuart
Peter A
Registered Guest

Post by Peter A »

It is the spination that is worrying me. All the pictures that I have seen recently labelled N. (or P.) concinnus have had hair-like or bristle-like spines, more like apricus. The spines on this plant and broad and very stiff, and this is true even of the seedlings. I have, on the other hand, come across a couple of pictures labelled mammulosus, which look right. When I looked up N. (or P.) mammulosus, however, on a couple of on-line sites, it was given as a pseudonym for apricus. So was submammulosus. It is certainly not apricus, though. What specific name ought I to give it? At the moment I'm inclined to keep concinnus...
Wilk
Registered Guest

Post by Wilk »

It looks like Notocactus horribilis to me :lol: :lol:
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

As you say, Peter, N. concinnus - and all the other various names currently lumped under Parodia concinna, eg. N. apricus, N. tabularis, etc - has bristly spines, varying in colour from pale yellow to deepest red. N. mammulosus - and most of the others lumped under Parodia mammulosa, including N. submammulosus - has much more robust supination and, very often, a shiny body.

I would say your plant is definitely not N. concinnus and extremely unlikely to be anything closely related to it. Given the delimitation of N. mammulosus was controversial even prior to the combination with Parodia, it would seem to me to be the safest name to apply, as any more narrowly defined epithet (around a dozen or so) that might be appropriate would have been sunk thereunder anyway! You could always use Notocactus aff. mammulosus (to suggest an affinity with), if you normally prefer narrow concepts of species to broader ones.
Peter A
Registered Guest

Post by Peter A »

Werewolf wrote: Given the delimitation of N. mammulosus was controversial even prior to the combination with Parodia, it would seem to me to be the safest name to apply.
Thank you: mammulosus it will be then.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Stuart wrote:No need to change names every time some botanist comes up with a new theory.
Stuart
Hear hear!
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.