Question about female E.Obesa seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Question about female E.Obesa seeds

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Aiko, and Chris. Have these seeds a sticky coating on them, as when I used bubble wrap, I used to find a few sticking to it.?
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ChrisR »

You probably answered your own question Eric.....
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

At a nursery many years ago I saw them put cotton wool over the developing seed pods.

When then burst the seeds are then just embedded into the cotton wool and can be easily collected and easily removed without any risk of damage

M
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

Eric Williams wrote:Thanks Aiko, and Chris. Have these seeds a sticky coating on them, as when I used bubble wrap, I used to find a few sticking to it.?

I've always been under the impression that it is static cling rather than sticky.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

When I used bubble wrap, it was always the smaller type "bubbles" and I thought they would some how be jammed between the bubbles. Could have been wrong though. Cheers
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Seeds are slightly sticky like goose grass. Soak them for 24 hours before germinating (they go slimy) to soften the tough coat that protects them when being fired for yards. I used an upturned plastic cup, and they make you jump when they go off. You will never find the seeds if you don't catch them on the plant!

I have never had a seed when a male plant has not been present. Mine are in the house so a paintbrush is necessary.

I have had good germination rates with obesa, but only one out of six symmetrica survived beyond a month. Plant them in individual 2.5 inch pots so that you don't need to repot, as I find it the biggest cause of infant mortality. :(
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Julie wrote:Soak them for 24 hours before germinating (they go slimy) to soften the tough coat that protects them when being fired for yards.
Not really needed, they can germinate without it perfectly. Although I guess your method might result in a higher germination rate?

I wonder if you crack the seed shell open like a nut, if that would even help germination (or it would kill the seed, of course...)?
Julie wrote:You will never find the seeds if you don't catch them on the plant!
But you can find nice little seedlings, though! I once found a one year old seedling in a Conophytum pot. It survived winter active and summer dormancy treatment...
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Sylv »

I catch all my seeds in my miniature greenhouse no problem,it's a good idea to use if you have one.

Sylv.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, took ChrisR's advice and asked my nearest and dearest to cut the toe off some old tights etc to put over E. obesa's seed pods. Worked a treat 25seeds LoL. Is it a bit late to try to germinate these seeds now, or better left until next season ? Thanks
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Give it a go now, Eric. Euphorbia seeds have a short shelf life, and current summer weather is ideal to start them.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!