Question about female E.Obesa seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Sylv
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Question about female E.Obesa seeds

Post by Sylv »

Hi,
Does a female Euphorbia Obesa need to be pollinated to produce seeds.I know this might sound a really silly question to some people but i wondered if they can still produce infertile seeds like a hen can still lay eggs.I am wondering because last year i bought a female E.obesa that was in flower,after a short time it produced seed pods and I collected the seeds when they burst open.The seeds were planted but never germinated,I know this doesn't mean they weren't fertile just that maybe I didn't do it right but it got me to thinking if they need pollenating to produce seeds at all.

Sylv.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Question about female E.Obesa seeds

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Silv, I love E obesa, and have many ( male and female) in my green house. I doubt if they are self fertile. How on earth did you manage to collect the seed, mine has been distributed all over the place. Some 6ft away from the mother plant, and you only know when they germinate. LoL. Cheers
Sylv
BCSS Member

Post by Sylv »

Hi Eric,
I don't think they are self fertilising but can they produce seeds that aren't fertile? Still produce seeds even if they havn't been fertilised.This may sound such a crazy question but is it possible?

I only have 3 Obesa at the moment Eric 2 males and a female ( I am looking for another female ) I collect the seeds by putting the plant into a miniature greenhouse when I know they are about ready to burst and wait.The greenhouse is about 7 inches by 12 inches and about 9 inches high approx.The top opens and closes and I thought it would be perfect for the job.

Sylv.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

It is certainly possible and a number of plant species do it, but I haven't heard of it happening with E. obesa.
Cheshire, UK
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Sylv, sorry should have read the question more carefully LoL. Like your idea of a mini g/h to collect seeds, will give it a go.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

In my limited experience with E.Obesa you only get seed if there is cross-fertilisation. Without this the female flowers just dry up and fall off.
I only achieved any seeds when I obtained a male and a female plant.
Sylv
BCSS Member

Post by Sylv »

Thanks for that info pip.

:)
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

Production of infertile seed/fuit is feasible. Although I haven't seen it on pure E.obesa I have observed it on a number of occasions on obesa X mammillaris hybrids. Infertile fruits tend to be small, rarely contain a fully formed seed and when they do they are usually small and don't 'explode' properly. Perhaps something to do with the genetic makeup of the hybrids increases the chance of this occurrence.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Eric Williams wrote:How on earth did you manage to collect the seed, mine has been distributed all over the place.
Just put some tape around the seed pod to keep the seed pod sides compact when it cracks open.
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

I used to put the toe from an old pair of ladies tights over the almost ripe capsules, which caught all the seeds easily.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.