Epiphyllum beauty

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Carl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Epiphyllum beauty

Post by Carl »

The ESA registry gives the following descriptions and flower size is variable on many factors including watering/feed and also the amount of flowers on each stem (like Dahlias for instance)

'Goldlachs' · HAAGE#141 Bright salmon orange. Yellow style. Wide-open. {XL}

'Jan Killian' -GM 2000 Apricot orange with slight reddish cast along the edges. Outer petals reddish orange. Overlapping, cup and saucer form. Flat branched growth. {M-L} 'Serena Reese' x 'Mondora Bell'. Reg. #12608

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

From 15th May, Epiphyllum hybrid "Anaconda" has a beautiful large flower, almost 20cm across - Fabulous :grin: Here are two views of the same plant.
I wish I could grow these epis with less scab and scar on some of the the stems! :sad:

PS, Hi, Carl :grin:

Epiphyllum hybrid Anaconda
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

Here are two different flowers from the same plant of Epiphyllum hybrid Space Rocket. The first is dated 12 May 2016, and the second 16 May 2016. The blooms were 15-16cm across.
Epiphyllum hybrid "Space Rocket"
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

I have two buds on Epiphyllum hybrid China Bowl; they may be open together tomorrow. The flowers are about 12cm across.

Epiphyllum hybrid Karl Gielsdorf is a lovely wide flower (about 18cm across), a vibrant, almost luminous orangy-red and distinct magenta. Again, I have two buds, but they will not bloom simultaneously.
Epiphyllum hybrid "China Bowl"
Epiphyllum hybrid "Karl Gielsdorf"
Epiphyllum hybrid "Karl Gielsdorf"
Last edited by cactusrogerUK on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

One of my favourites is Epiphyllum hybrid "King Midas" with its medium/large pastel orange flowers, about 15-16cm across. This image was taken in early evening sunlight, emphasising the subdued golden glow of the bloom.

The white flowered plant is another of those Terry Hewitt sourced plants from a very early mixed box I bought from him. I remember the vigour of the stem growth and the fragrant white flowers (they smell like Neutrogena T-Gel Therapeutic shampoo!) 12-14cm across, and the name Kinchinjunga, though I have seen websites showing white flowers nothing like this. I have, however seen references to E. Crenatum v. Kinchinjunga with very similar flowers, however my plants do not have the distinctive Crenatum stems Comments welcomed. :grin:

That's all for now. I'd better stop hogging the thread! :roll: There are a few still to open up in the next month. I have many Epi seeds (mixed or named crosses) if anyone is interested. It takes about four-five years from sowing to blooming.

Epiphyllum hybrid "King Midas"
Epiphyllum hybrid "King Midas"
Epiphyllum hybrid "Kinchinjunga" (?)
Epiphyllum hybrid "Kinchinjunga" (?)
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

My epis have almost finished for the season, but late, and very showy, is this scabby old monster from which many cuttings have been taken (and seeds produced) over the years
I bought it unnamed from a farm/nursery shrub stall in Wolverhampton Market about ten years ago for £1.50 and the seller said she thought the flower would be red. Mmmm!
Five buds have matured this season, and three were open yesterday and today. As there are many unnamed beauties very similar to named and registered beauties I don't really expect to find out if it has a name. The flowers are 16cm + across, scented, and some years they are yellower than shown here. Buds are 18cm long.
Attachments
Epiphyllum hybrid unnamed yellow
Peter A
Registered Guest

Post by Peter A »

I've one a bit like it, also in flower to-day. The scent, which is quite strong, is lemon sherbet. What is yours like?
The odd thing about this plant is that it attracts greenfly when the flower buds start to swell - though they only attack the flowers. I crush them all with my fingers when I first notice them and they don't usually come back. Then the stems get attacked by sticky insects, usually, and I have to spray. I don't know how the pests get in. The plants are in an enclosed glazed porch along with seven or eight other varieties of epicacti, and though the stems are mixed like a plate of spaghetti, none of the other plants are ever affected! All the others, as you suggest of your plant, flower earlier.
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

I have just changed the mature bud count to six - due to poor observation skills! :argue2:

One of the three (which should open by tomorrow) has about four greenfly on (and three mealy bugs!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: ) but I have never had noticeable greenfly problems.

The scent is much sweeter than lemon sherbet, more like Neutrogena Shampoo (but not as strong as the Kinchinjunga plant mentioned upthread).
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

I thought of starting a new thread for 2017, but I might as well continue in this one. Some of the epis I have obtained from eBay and elsewhere may not be what they seem, though most of my suppliers seem quite knowledgeable, so If you see anything questionable do please post your thoughts. :grin:

First two this year were daft ones blooming indoors at the beginning of January. 'Mrs Eleanor Fryer' - unregistered, (Zeberdee x Desiree) named for my own convenience, is shown flowering on 4 January 2017. The other ('Dawn Gilbert' is pictured up-thread from 2016)

24 April - Elsie Harrison - flower 12cm across.
Flowering soon - Millicent Ballard and Piccolo and Trapeze.
'Elsie Harrison' - 12cm
'Elsie Harrison' - 12cm
'Mrs Eleanor Fryer' - 12cm
'Mrs Eleanor Fryer' - 12cm
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member

Post by cactusrogerUK »

Up to date now.

7 May 'Trapeze' 12cm
9 May 'Moonlight Sonata' 12cm
12 May 'American Sweetheart' 10cm

In about two days I expect ''Millicent Ballard' and 'Piccolo', both for the first time.
Epiphyllum hybrid 'American Sweetheart' detail 12 May
Epiphyllum hybrid 'American Sweetheart' detail 12 May
Epiphyllum hybrid 'American Sweetheart' 12 May
Epiphyllum hybrid 'American Sweetheart' 12 May
Epiphyllum hybrid 'Moonlight Sonata'
Epiphyllum hybrid 'Moonlight Sonata'
Epiphyllum hybrid 'Trapeze' 7 May
Epiphyllum hybrid 'Trapeze' 7 May