Epiphyllum beauty

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Carl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Epiphyllum beauty

Post by Carl »

Another quick snap today of a first time flowerer

'Pure of Heart'
2016-06-05 19.49.56.jpg

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
Carl
BCSS Member

Post by Carl »

Some more new flowers today :grin:

'Prof. Dr. Lenzen' - Rudolf Heßing 2007 Inner petals yellow gold with light
pink throat. Outer petals yellow gold. Cup and saucer form.
Basket growth. Aporophyllum type. {Small} Unknown aporophyllum
x 'Peaches 'N' Cream'. Reg.# 13159
2016-06-09 18.40.25.jpg
2016-06-06 15.35.20.jpg

'Yellow Tang' - Darryl Miyamoto 2009 Inner petals dark yellow. Outer petals
dark yellow with some bronze. Double, wide form. Small,
flat and three-angled growth. {Medium} 'Evening Delight' x 'Chiba
Lovely Dawn'. Reg. #13534
2016-06-10 09.48.52.jpg
2016-06-10 09.49.06.jpg

BCSS 50189
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Wow, that's a good one. I'm of the opinion that about 95% of cactus hybrids - epicacti, echinopsises, Aylostera, chamelobivias - don't deserve naming but that one does!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by daniel82 »

That last one is my favourite, thank you for this thread :grin:
Carl
BCSS Member

Post by Carl »

Yes it's a gorgeous hybrid the double form comes from the pod parent 'Evening Delight' which itself is a fairly modern hybrid in comparison to others (another Daryl Miyamoto cross from 1999) and the intense burnt yellow is from an interesting but extremely poor growing hybrid (I mean the first clue that you have a correctly labeled cutting is that it dies :lol: ) 'Chiba Lovely Dawn' which is a hybrid first registered in 2007 and hybridised in Japan by Mitsuhashi Nurseries unfortunately almost nothing is known about its parentage but I do distinctly remember hearing from somewhere that it's suspected that it was produced from intentional seed treatment such as with colchicine or similar but nobody has any evidence to that fact :smile:

I've procured some photo's of the parents (Thank you Don Crain!) as you can see it's a hybridisers dream outcome: gorgeous double flower structure and vigour from the pod parent - excellent intense colour from the pollen parent

'Evening Delight'
Epiphyllum Evening Delight by Don, on Flickr

x

'Chiba Lovely Dawn'
Epiphyllum Chiba Lovely Dawn by Don, on Flickr

If you think epiphyllum hybrids are boring then you should see some of the modern hybrids coming out of the US and New Zealand in the last 5 years they are just jaw dropping :eek:

I'll leave you with this link on the Epiphyllum Society of America's gallery of Yvonne & Andrew Brunton's hybrids from New Zealand which just have to be seen to be believed... just an incredible amount of petals and colour forms, personal favourites include 'Kiwi Razzle Dazzle', 'Kiwi Grand Finale', 'Kiwi Treasure Box' to name just a couple! interestingly these are all hybrids between 'Elinor Victoria Latimer' x 'Elegans Lei' (or the reverse cross) created by Richard G. Latimer, Sr. & Mitsuhashi Nursery respectively

http://www.epiphyllums.org/oldsite/pent ... unton.html

BCSS 50189
Greenlarry
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Greenlarry »

Oh very nice!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

20160611_100131.jpg
GERTRUDE.W.BEAUM
Acid John
Peter A
Registered Guest

Post by Peter A »

I've only just discovered this thread, but thought I might put on this one, which has just flowered for the first time. I grew it from seed many years ago, and, rather oddly, it didn't flower until I moved it into full sun in the hottest part of the greenhouse. Usually I think of them as prefering shade or half-shade. Not, apparently, this one! Here it is just opening. The bud started off looking white, then pink. By the time it opened the outer petals were so dark a red as almost to be black!
ASDark red epicactus 6.6.16 2.jpg
ASIP6081708.jpg
ASIP6081704.jpg
The flower is relatively small: four and a half inches across, but the intensity of the colours is astonishing!
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by cactusrogerUK »

I fancy that "Yellow Tang" a few posts back. A rare and rich colour.

OK, I'll add a few pictures to the gallery in the next few days, but in the meantine there is this one for which I have no ID. It originated from Terry Hewitt/Hollygate in the 1990s and the label has long ago been lost. If anyone can suggest a name by comparison with a plant from the same source I will be interested. The buds are long and slender, quite a deep red and pointed. The open 15cm flower colour is vivid with distinct magenta edges to the inner petals. Unfortunately there are lots of red/magenta "names" which are fairly similar. There is a lot of pollen, and the bloom is mildly fragrant. The second image is another bloom about to open today.

Update: I think I have identified this as Dracula. That is one of the hybrids Terry sent me in a mixed box of ten rooted cuttings for about £12 about twenty years ago. Images on the website here and elsewhere look like the same plant to me.
Epiphyllum hybrid (probably Dracula), ex Hollygate Nursery.
Epiphyllum hybrid (probably Dracula), ex Hollygate Nursery.
Attachments
Second bud on the same plant.
Second bud on the same plant.
Last edited by cactusrogerUK on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by cactusrogerUK »

Epiphyllum hybrid Jan Killian
Epiphyllum hybrid Jan Killian
Epiphyllum hybrid Goldlachs
Epiphyllum hybrid Goldlachs

Two recent bloomers: Goldlachs has rich orange flowers about 12cm across. Websites say the size should be up to 20cm, so is this actually Goldlachs? Jan Killian has flowers about 18cm across.