Epiphyllum beauty

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Epiphyllum beauty

Post by BrianMc »

Another plant flowering today (With one flower fading from a weekend display) is this very old and tatty seed grown plant. A battered and neglected plant, but the flowers are amazing and just over 8 inches in diameter.
Epi_BMCD_0203_01.jpg
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
PhilW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by PhilW »

gorgeous flower there Brian (tu)

can someone tell me if the small red dot thing is new growth or a flower bud please - I noticed a few on my E. Oklahoma

Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Phil, to my untrained eye, I think the so called red dot on bottom right of plant may well be a flower. Cheers
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Eric Williams wrote:Hi Phil, to my untrained eye, I think the so called red dot on bottom right of plant may well be a flower. Cheers
Ooooh blimey I was hoping they were going to be flower buds but assumed the plant would be too young having only bought it several weeks ago, maybe I got lucky and was sent a plant that's already 2+years old? Lets hope they develop and one open as I think there are 3 of these growths in total.

If I get lucky and they are flowers anyone any idea how long it takes for a flower to develop and open from a small bump like this?
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Carl »

PhilW wrote:
Eric Williams wrote:Hi Phil, to my untrained eye, I think the so called red dot on bottom right of plant may well be a flower. Cheers
Ooooh blimey I was hoping they were going to be flower buds but assumed the plant would be too young having only bought it several weeks ago, maybe I got lucky and was sent a plant that's already 2+years old? Lets hope they develop and one open as I think there are 3 of these growths in total.

If I get lucky and they are flowers anyone any idea how long it takes for a flower to develop and open from a small bump like this?
if it is a flower bud it will likely be from stress rather than maturity, usually a cutting will drop the buds so don't get too excited yet... if it doesn't drop the buds then I would suggest to watch the cutting very carefully if you intend to leave them be as some hybrids do have a tendency to try and commit suicide by flower :wink:

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Carl wrote:
PhilW wrote:

if it is a flower bud it will likely be from stress rather than maturity, usually a cutting will drop the buds so don't get too excited yet... if it doesn't drop the buds then I would suggest to watch the cutting very carefully if you intend to leave them be as some hybrids do have a tendency to try and commit suicide by flower :wink:
Maybe there is a better chance for this one as it has a good root system on it when it arrived and was not an Un rooted cutting - fingers crossed then :)
Carl
BCSS Member

Post by Carl »

Something cheery for today :grin:

'Jutta Paetz' - Helmut Paetzold 1999 Salmon red. Overlapping, funnel form with radiating outer petals. Thick, flat growth. {Small} 'Professor Ebert' x Disocactus phyllanthoides. Reg. #12392
IMGP2345.jpg
IMGP2340.jpg

BCSS 50189
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

The stems never look strong enough to support such stunning flowers. Magnificent.
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

when these plants (young rooted cuttings) start with new growth is it normal for it to be a bit 'floppy' even though the rooted cutting itself is erect? If so I guess it will become more rigid over time?
Carl
BCSS Member

Post by Carl »

PhilW wrote:when these plants (young rooted cuttings) start with new growth is it normal for it to be a bit 'floppy' even though the rooted cutting itself is erect? If so I guess it will become more rigid over time?
Quite common, new growth is usually thin/floppy and very easily damaged in the first year of growth (especially if like me your overweight and in a very cramped position :roll: ) later in the year you will find it will loose the bright green shiny appearance and take on more of a matte green finish with a much more robust feel to it

BCSS 50189