My collection in Finland

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pia
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My collection in Finland

Post by Pia »

Hi AnTTun,

thanks for your comments! (tu) It's true that I have a thing for unusual colors and shapes, but at the same time, I especially love pure species without any "unnatural" manipulation. With regard to unusual shapes and colors, I like spontaneous mutations more than manipulations. And for some reason, I don't like grafted plants but want them to grow with their own roots (although I agree that grafting is a very useful method in many cases).

A few of my large-sized cacti were already quite large when I bought them. Thus, they have been grown in optimal light conditions etc. for some time before they came to Finland. That's why some of my cacti show better growth in lower parts and then the growth has changed thinner simply due to much poorer light conditions. This is shown, for example, in the winter picture above (columnar cactus Pilosocereus). The growth during the time the cacti have been in my care, is the same all the time. I have been living in this house for 7 years now, and comparing to my previous house, the cacti do not get as much sun as previously. They are on a window facing south-west, but due to large trees and wide window frames, they only get full sunshine for about 4-5 hours per day in the growing season (and there are also many cloudy and rainy days here in Finland).

It's true that I have a tendency to use too big pots especially for small plants. But I have thought that since I do not overwater the plants, it may not be a problem. In fact, I have never killed any of my small cacti in too large pots, although many of them are very sensitive to overwatering (for example, Astrophytum asterias). I use standard cactus soil (much sand) and often also add perlite to the soil. I have also noticed that black pots become very hot when sun is shining, and with larger pots, small cacti have more soil between their roots and the hot side of the pot as an insulation.
Dunlin
BCSS Member

Post by Dunlin »

Hi Pia,

Your Mamillaria gracilis is beautiful!

In Shetland, there can be plenty of cloudy days; although I do have a good windowsill, and all but the most sun-hungry species do well, I'm looking into LED grow lights to give them a boost at times. That might be something you could consider for some of your specimens?

Best wishes,

Naomi
PhilW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by PhilW »

some nice stuff there Pia - grow lights as said might be worth a look? I am currently looking at getting a good but inexpensive grow light(s) myself, just a case of sorting out the decent from the rubbish lol, although I was told by a seed supplier that a daylight bulb would suffice for a few small individual plants??
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Thanks for your comments, Naomi and PhilW! You are absolutely right, my plants would benefit from additional light. Some species seem to grow very well under the light conditions I have now (for example, Opuntia, Echinopsis, Astrophytum, Mamillaria etc.), but the growth of many columnar cacti, Ferocactus, Echinocactus etc. is too elongated and thin. In my previous house, the shape of their growth was better (meaning that the light conditions in Finland may be sufficient), but as I told, I have large trees and wide window frames that cause some shading during the sunny hours of a day. In addition, since I usually keep my cacti at a room temperature (about +22 Celsius) also in the winter, the plants may start growing in the spring earlier than they should (they are not in a dormant state). This means that because there is not much light, the shape of the growth is not as thick as it should be in the spring (and maybe also in the autumn).

In winter, I water my cacti only once in about 6-9 weeks depending on their size (the bigger the plant is, the longer it can manage without watering), and the amount of water is quite small. Because they are at a room temperature, I have to give them a little bit water also in the winter. In summer, I water them once in about 2 weeks (depending on the weather), and I water them thoroughly. About two times in a growing season, I add fertilisizer to the water. In spring and autumn, I water them once in about 3-5 weeks (again, depending on the weather).
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Here are some new additions:

Ferocactus glaucescens (spineless form)
Glaucescens1x.jpg
Glaucescens1x.jpg (132.29 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
Cereus peruvianus f. monstrose
KalliokaktusB3x.jpg
KalliokaktusB3x.jpg (122 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
Echinopsis subdenudata variegata
Subdenudata2x.jpg
Subdenudata2x.jpg (101.63 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
Echinopsis mamillosa var. kermesina
Kermesina1x.jpg
Kermesina1x.jpg (136.41 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubispinus
Echinocereus3x.jpg
kamos
Registered Guest

Post by kamos »

Beautiful collection Pia! :smile:
Neal
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Thank you for your kind words, kamos! I must say that when I look at the pictures of the other members' wonderful collections with many flowering plants, I feel very inferior. My growing conditions do not promote very good shape of the growth or flowering. But I LOVE my plants anyway!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

As long as you love them Pia that's all that matters.
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Thanks, Herts Mike! :smile: Each one is very precious to me, and I even talk to them almost every day.
graham
BCSS Member

Post by graham »

I would definitely have a look at the various LED setups that are available, it's obvious from the look of the plants that they are doing well but they could do with more light...

However I can see that there will be a few issues: firstly the taller ones will be a little difficult to light properly or rather you would have to light all the tall ones together, the light intensity falls off quickly and it is best to place the light close to the plants. Secondly the larger fittings are, ummm, seldom aesthetically attractive, they are somewhat utilitarian and, dare I say it, often used in locations where visitors are not often found, nor welcome...but there are a whole range of fittings from standard bulb fittings, to various sized panels. And then there is the colour: the most efficient arrays make use of a mixture of blue and red LEDs to match the absorption of chlorophyll and so no greens which would look somewhat odd in a living room etc . Of course you can go for white (either white LEDs or a mixture of colours) and this will look more normal but as far as the plants are concerned they don't use the green light.

I know that sounds a little off-putting but I would have a look at the posts by Christer:
http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 29#p223529
and
http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... ED#p232960

to see what can be achieved.

graham