My collection in Finland

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pia
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My collection in Finland

Post by Pia »

The last three flowers are now gone. Blooming lasted from June 17 to June 29. There were almost 100 flowers in three small plants. Sight is a little bit sad now... But until next summer, hopefully!

Fussen30x.jpg
Fussen31x.jpg
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Opuntia monacantha variegata's new growth has lovely brightly pink colour!
Monacantha12x.jpg
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Yes I have mistaken them for buds in the past.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

I just discovered that they are actually leaves which will die very soon because the plant doesn't need them for photosynthesis.
Mark07
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Mark07 »

How are your Opuntia Fragilis Fussen doing this year Pia? I eventually managed to get my hands on one here in the UK. It should arrive tomorrow and I’m hoping it is the same as your plant. I will be keeping some in the greenhouse but also trying some in my rockery outside. I’m currently growing this O.Engelmanii v Phaeacantha hybrid outside and it seems to be doing well for my cool wet climate of NW England so I’m hoping the O. Fragilis Fussen will do ok. :)
Attachments
C9BA3235-6103-4983-A70B-F3F5D027C793.jpeg
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Mark, thinking of trying some opuntia outside this Winter. Do you use any protection against rain. Cold ok, wet, suspect. Thanks. Would a thick gravell mulch help ?
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Eric Williams wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:50 am Hi Mark, thinking of trying some opuntia outside this Winter. Do you use any protection against rain. Cold ok, wet, suspect. Thanks. Would a thick gravell mulch help ?
Hi Eric,

I do cover over winter to shield from the worst of the cold winter rain but apart from that It seems to be doing really well. It’s planted in a mix of grit, sand and ordinary garden soil with a thin layer of gravel mulch on the top. The cold doesn’t seem to bother it but the last few winters have been relatively mild. I would say a thick gravel mulch will help more, mine is a little too thin. I’m hoping to construct another rockery area at some point, this time taking my time and thinking it through a bit better :)
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Mark, will give it a go this Winter with Opuntia compressa Monmouth. I have read it is Winter hardy. Cheers
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

I used to have quite a lot of 'hardy' opuntias in the garden in a raised bed over a decade ago. They were never covered, loved the snow and flowered well. We changed our garden layout some years ago, so the best pads were all 'sold off' as rooted cuttings.

2005_12_28 Opuntia Border in Snow 1.JPG

2007_07_07 Opuntia and Alpine Bed 5 cropped.JPG
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Wow they look great Tony and in great condition considering our climate. Really shows what’s possible with a bit of care and attention. Thanks for sharing.