My collection in Finland

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pia
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My collection in Finland

Post by Pia »

Thanks for your advice, graham! I will surely think about that and found out the possibilities. In fact, I have thought it many times, but it has always seemed so complicated to execute.

I have several very large windows (almost from the ceiling to the floor) facing directly to the south, but unfortunately, my terrace is in front of these large south-facing windows, and the ceiling of the terrace prevents any direct sunlight from coming inside through these windows. As I have told, my cacti are placed in front of windows facing south-west (or west), and due to some large trees and wide window frames, they only get full sunshine for about 4 hours per day in the afternoons in the growing season (assuming that there is a sunny day!). In one summer, I placed my cacti to the glazed terrace, but if the glasses are closed, the temperature inside rises extremely high (at least +40-50 Celsius in a sunny day). And when I kept the glasses open, pests (mealy bugs, aphids etc.) attacked immediately!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Pia wrote:Thanks, Herts Mike! :smile: Each one is very precious to me, and I even talk to them almost every day.
I fear I sometimes do the same thing. Even worse, at those times I talk on behalf of them back to me...
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

What a great idea, Aiko! I must try the same thing myself. :grin:
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

My Echinopsis subdenudata 'Variegata' has made a baby! I know this is a very common thing, but for me it is a big deal because my cacti don't grow under optimal conditions regarding light and winter rest and, consequently, they flower and produce offshoots quite rarely. I have had this one since it was very small (about 2 cm high). Although the mother is spineless, the baby has a lot of spines (at this stage it may be a rule).
Subdenudata4x.jpg
Subdenudata4x.jpg (108.3 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
Subdenudata5x.jpg
Subdenudata5x.jpg (150.19 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Congratulations! :mex:
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Thanks, Diane! :smile:

On page 1 I have a photo showing Myrtillocactus geometrizans f. cristata, which made a normal columnar-shaped offshoot. I know this happens occasionally.
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

I just planted 4 Opuntia fragilis 'Füssen' into my rockery where I have many different Sedums, Sempervivums etc. I ordered the opuntias from Germany, and they should be cold hardy down to -25 Celsius. Also, they don't need any protection from wetness. O. fragilis is the northernmost of all cacti, and it should survive outside also in southern Finland (I hope!). I planted them in soil for cacti and succulents (about 12-20 cm soil), and underneath the soil is a thick layer of large pieces of gravel for draining (the holes in the rockery also provide very good draining). On top of the soil is a layer of small pieces of granite. The rockery locates in a very sunny place, and the large amount of rocks should also store some warmth.
Fussen1x.jpg
Fussen1x.jpg (187.06 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Fussen2x.jpg
Fussen2x.jpg (218.69 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Kivikko47x.jpg
Kivikko47x.jpg (190.02 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Debbie
Registered Guest
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by Debbie »

Hi Pia , I love your collection of cacti. Some of them must be of great age ! They all look happy and healthy . Thankyou for sharing your pictures . Debbie : )
p.s. I especially love the rockery in your garden !
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

Thanks, Debbie! :smile: They are helthy and, hopefully, also happy, but as I have told, they don't get as much light as some of them need (in some species requiring much light, the shape of the growth is too elongated). Also, my opportunity to offer a long winter rest in my glazed terrace is not good enough, but next winter I will put some of them to my basement and see if that works better.
Pia
BCSS Member

Post by Pia »

My Pilosocereus is reaching the ceiling, and the top cannot get any sunlight. I must cut the top and plant it again when the callus is formed. How tall should the cutting be?
Pilosocereus5x.jpg